Unofficial enthusiasts

We're all unofficial enthusiasts when we own an AMD graphics card and update drivers without it crashing...

+1. After building my current AMD rig (previously owned only Intel based rigs) I had considered if the price/performance of an AMD card might also be a decent switch from my Nvidia loyalty.

Then I decided to get some firsthand experience, visited an old friend with a 6870.. Sure, he got more FPS than my older card, but the microstutter was unbearable and killed immersion.. Then tried even an older card whose driver support is long gone (X1950 Pro 512MB) and noticed in games of it's own era textures would be completely missing, black "things" all over the screen. Read up online from there, and they sound like the Creative of video cards with driver issues, read a little more, and realized that in my price range, higher performing cards have much higher loads, louder fans, etc..

So I honestly DID consider going with AMD, I'm not just another Nvidia fanboy. Until I did reading up and had a little firsthand experience: I realized I'll never do it. If I'm paying $200+ for a video card, an extra $20-30 for some serious reliability and stability is WELL worth it.

Anyways with 560 Ti prices anymore, there's nothing else to consider. $220-250 for the best Price/Performance ratio around, and more than enough juice for my single monitor set-up.. There's really nothing else to consider for my type of usage.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I've been able to play almost all games fully maxed with my GTX 560 Ti with a slight OC on a 22'' 1680x1050 monitor. It really is one of the best price/performance cards today.

Then I decided to get some firsthand experience, visited an old friend with a 6870.. Sure, he got more FPS than my older card, but the microstutter was unbearable and killed immersion.. Then tried even an older card whose driver support is long gone (X1950 Pro 512MB) and noticed in games of it's own era textures would be completely missing, black "things" all over the screen. Read up online from there, and they sound like the Creative of video cards with driver issues, read a little more, and realized that in my price range, higher performing cards have much higher loads, louder fans, etc..

I've never understood the micro-stutter thing. I mean, I'm sure it happens, but I've had 2 AMD cards and haven't had a single problem yet

You can't have microstutter with one card... it would just be stuttering.

This. This is also why I loved my Quadfire setup - the microstuttering was minimized because there were so many GPUs active. :lol:

For some reason that reminded me of a story about astronauts not being able to see the readouts on one of their spacecraft during takeoff.

The take off caused something to harmonically vibrate causing the pilots/astronauts eyes to jitter and be unable to read the instrument panels.

Instead of spending millions (billions?) of dollars harmonically balancing things and/or redesigning systems with different materials the NASA engineers wired up a circuit that strobed the instrument panel readouts at the frequency that their eyes were vibrating.

Vibration + Vibration = No Vibration

:D