PC is being really screwy, please help

Alright so here is the issue

Since today my PC suddenly started acting a bit... funny

First off it wouldn't start up, all I'd get are four short beeps, it would suddenly shut down and start up again and the process would repeat

Then after thoroughly checking all cables I tried again, didn't work

Checked RAM, it seemed to work when I pressed them down (though no click so they weren't unseated)

Booted up, then BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL or something like that

Shut down, booted again and went into startup repair, said it couldn't repair

Started it up again, it is working, I think- I haven't switched it back on.

Just wondering if there is a solution. Not sure if the errors will pop up again

System specs

CPU- i3 sandy bridge (forgot full name)

8gb DDR3 Mushkin redline (again, forgotten frequency but it isn't overly high)

Corsair GT SSD 60gb (the red one)

160gb seagate HDD

Asrock Z77 Pro3 mobo (haha this was the edit)

ATI Radeon 7970 (sapphire dual x)

Silverstone silverstrider 750 watt PSU

Sorry for the non-specific specs, I'll try and dig em out later

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Daragh

So ASrocks site is saying that 4 short beeps is a "System timer failure"

So after so digging around its a problem with the RAM. So i would download memtest and start there.

Also you could try to reseating the ram as well. They do creep out a bit even though you pushed on them, they still could not be making a connection.

• Like 1

BB is on the right track, but I'd go a little further. Remove all RAM sticks except for one. Securely install it into the DIMM slot recommended by ASRock for single DIMM operation. Run Memtest for 20-30 minutes. Pull that stick and install the next. Run Memtest again. Rinse repeat until all sticks have been tested and they are good or you have a bad stick. Report findings.

If all of the memory modules check out fine in the primary dimm, the next step would be to repeat the same exercise in the remaining dimm slots. Be advised that some boards will throw an error code or no-boot condition if you attempt to run a single module in the non-preferred dimm slot, in which case you'll just have to skip that part. But that shouldn't prevent you from populating additional slots and running multiple sticks of memory - the key is follow the dimm configuration specified by the motherboard mfg. The users manual will usually show you how to correctly populate the dimm slots based on how many sticks of memory that you're running.