SmartDNS by

So this company UnoTelly sells a SmartDNS service to access region-locked content outside the region.

They are offering a free 40 day trial period specifically so people can watch the World Cup.

I am really weak on Networking and don't really understand the implications of letting this company change my DNS settings. Truthfully I'm weak on lots of stuff but this in particular, lol

They want me to change my Primary and Secondary DNS settings.

Can anyone given me a reason not to do this?

Thanks

If you change both the primary and secondary you will have a hard time reaching any local network resources, so if you have other networked computers, network printers, network storage, etc. you'll probably want to leave your secondary DNS as your default, if you don't have many/any local network resources changing both is ok.

Overal it shouldn't hurt anything so long as it's a reputable company. They could technically direct you anywhere on the internet with fake DNS and get you fake banking sites and stuff and steal your log in info.

But if a google search proves them trustworthy you should be fine.

Just remember to change it back to your defaults, or to google DNS when you are done with the world cup. You don't want your DNS queries to be coming from half way around the world, it could add a lot of latency to your internet traffic.

• Like 1

If you change both the primary and secondary you will have a hard time reaching any local network resources, so if you have other networked computers, network printers, network storage, etc. you'll probably want to leave your secondary DNS as your default, if you don't have many/any local network resources changing both is ok.

Overal it shouldn't hurt anything so long as it's a reputable company. They could technically direct you anywhere on the internet with fake DNS and get you fake banking sites and stuff and steal your log in info.

But if a google search proves them trustworthy you should be fine.

Just remember to change it back to your defaults, or to google DNS when you are done with the world cup. You don't want your DNS queries to be coming from half way around the world, it could add a lot of

latency to your internet traffic

Why thank you my good man. That was precisely the type of information I was seeking :)

I can't speak for this particular company, but wouldn't you be safer if you used a free VPN service instead of letting some company randomly change your DNS servers?  I personally wouldn't let a company randomly choose my DNS servers.  I use my own DNS servers but I set the addresses myself so I know that I'm using legit DNS addresses (and to avoid the potential pitfall of illegitimate DNS routing per MD's observation in his post above).