Moving 3TB drive from one system to another...

ClayMeow

So the BIOS of my current system doesn't support 3TB drives, resulting in my new 3TB drive only being read as ~750GB.

My question is, if I put data onto it, when I transfer it to my new system which WILL support 3TB, will I be able to expand the partition to 3TB and keep my data or will I have to wipe it?

The reason I need to do this is because I have some data on an IDE drive and my new mobo doesn't have an IDE port, so I need to do the transfer in my current build, not my new build :(

So, to spell it out:

Connected new HDD to current PC (Abit IP35 Pro)

3TB drive recognized as 750GB.

Transferring ~200GB of data onto it.

Will connect drive to new PC (ASUS P8Z77V-Deluxe).

Want to KEEP the 200GB of data AND have it recognized as 3TB.

SOLVED (Sort of)

If the 3 TB was already formatted to GPT on the old system, it might work. If its not you would have to reformat it to GPT on the new system to get all 3 TB access.

If I understand this correctly, you just want to transfer the data from the 200 GB IDE. Could you just transfer that over your network once you have the new system setup? That would probably be a safer route.

Edited by AZNguyen

Are you sure a bios upgrade won't make the mb read the 3tb ? :rolleyes:

Abit doesn't exist anymore.

If the 3 TB was already formatted to GPT on the old system, it might work. If its not you would have to reformat it to GPT on the new system to get all 3 TB access.

If I understand this correctly, you just want to transfer the data from the 200 GB IDE. Could you just transfer that over your network once you have the new system setup? That would probably be a safer route.

I did set it to GPT.

I can't transfer over the network because I'll be using my current case and, more importantly, PSU in my new build.

Can you boot to Parted Magic and partition it to 2-1.5TB partitions and then just later remove the partition? that would work if Parted Magic sees the drive...

Just nab Unebooten and load PM to a flash drive

So I got Windows to recognize it, even though my BIOS still doesn't (how that's possible, I haven't a clue).

I installed a new version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, even though technically my chipset doesn't support it (I previously had the newest version of Intel Matrix Storage Technology, which IS what my chipset technically supports). Now Windows sees the drive as 2794.39GB, despite the BIOS still seeing it as a mere 801GB.

Hopefully the new drivers don't screw up any of my other drives, as I'm still waiting for one last part to arrive before I can build my new PC, so this needs to survive! :lol: