Hi Guys,

One of my friends suggested i post here regarding my overclocking issues with my 2600k and age (maybe also windows 8...)

The CPU used to be a decent overclocker, able to do 5.1 GHz on 1.385v and LLC lvl 10 for shorter stints (staying below 80 degrees celcius), and 4.5ghz as my 24/7 oc using 1.305v and LLC lvl7, super stable and always below 65 degrees celcius.

Recently I upgraded to windows 8 (had the release preview and then used the upgrade discount), and since then i've had trouble getting my pc to boot up on anything above 4.5ghz (even tried  1.45v LLC 7 for 4.6GHz), and even on 4.5Ghz it is not stable for any decent length of time, giving me "machine check exeption" or "system service exception" or "dpc watchdog violation" bsod names, all going away once I back off the OC to something like 4.2 GHz on 1.32v and LLC off...

I've had this CPU for just about two years now, on the same gigabyte p67a-ud7-b3, the same silver arrow cpu cooler and the same corsair HX750w psu (the silver efficiency one)

Is this only processor aging? Is my chip dying? Could it maybe even be my motherboard or psu?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like you busted yor CPU with such a high clock and voltage . At some point a oc will become unstable until it needs high voltage to even be at stock .

This looks like the most likely explaination to me too...

Stefan, hard to determine what exactly "short stints" consist of - so I can't definitely say that your chip is dying.  But I don't consider 1.305v too high for a 24/7 OC on Sandy Bridge processors.  I've got a 2700K that has been running 4.6Ghz at 1.38v for a little over a year now with zero degradation (i.e. no loss of stability, reduction in overclock or increase in vcore) to keep it stable.  

I do have cpu power savings features enabled though, so my setup does incorporate idle states and voltages (meaning it doesn't always run 4.6Ghz @ 1.38v) - so I guess that could be one variable.  I guess that if it were me I'd roll back to Windows 7 and see if you're having similar problems - before I assumed my beloved Sandy chip was dying.

I've had 2600K's going with lower overclocks and higher voltages for a while now with no issues. If it only occurs with Windows 8, it might be something because of that. I know I had some issues with Windows 8 holding overclocks, but they were easily remedied. Try updating to the latest BIOS, or maybe try Windows 7 again.

But 5.1ghz @ 1.4v doesn't sound high ? At 1.3 I doubt that is a problem. Like everyone else said maybe its windows 8 that is the issue . Or Maybe you want I drop everything to stock , run prime and memtest 86 to make sure things are stable and start to rise everything again .

Yes, but he qualified that with "short stints".  If the OP is talking 5.1Ghz at 1.4v just long enough to get some benches or OC competitions done - honestly I don't see how that would ruin his processor.  But guess that it's possible.

One thing I noticed with WIndows 7 and Windows 8. On a machine where in the BIOS I didn't have CPU C1E, C3 Report , and C6 Report disabled, it didn't affect my overclock in Windows 7, but it did on Windows 8. I had to turn that off in my BIOS for Windows 8.

Updated my bios to F7 and disabled c3/c6, also using turbo to reach 4.5 ghz on all cores, where i used to run 4.5 as stock speed with only EIST and power savings on for 1.6ghz idling.

With LLC disabled i can run linx stably with 1.365v (scoring 108 Gflops), which is quite a bit higher than what I'm used to.

What I meant with "short stints" was basically disable everything and only boot with the ssd for benchmarking..

So I guess the major part of the problem is windows 8, borrowed a windows 7 hdd from another pc and I can go above 4.5GHz:

tried 4.8 GHz with 1.38v and LLC lvl6, completed 5 runs in linx, but reaching 78 degrees celcius.

Boot windows 8 again and it fails right on the log in screen after entering my password