Vibration Makes Me _ _ _ _ _!!!!

abid

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

You guys are evil. :D

OP - don't worry about the vibrations. :)

Are you serious? It's this kind of bad advice that gets users like abid into trouble. Ignore tihs clown.

WHAT!!! OMG!! just tell me the truth!!!!

You want the truth? Can you handle it? It's expensive in an inverse proportion to the aforementioned equation. Good luck. And don't forget the peanut butter.

Words of wisdom for the day: there are no such things as stupid questions - just stupid people.

ITU-T ISO 3455:89 Standard regulates the use of organic-electrical lubrication substances

That's the most informative post I've read in a long time. Are you supposed to use the jelly along with the peanut butter when it comes time, or just the peanut butter?

=P

Dude the cheap peanut butter is crappy, so is all natural. I think they skimp out on one of the oils. Ive compared some of the ingredients and Skippy worked fine back when my A64 was vibrating. Unfortunately I didnt get to it fast enough and it died a couple days later.

Dude the cheap peanut butter is crappy, so is all natural. I think they skimp out on one of the oils. Ive compared some of the ingredients and Skippy worked fine back when my A64 was vibrating. Unfortunately I didnt get to it fast enough and it died a couple days later.

Yeah, I suppose. I've been feeling adventurous lately and started experimenting with almond butter. I've got in on all 8 fans in my Stacker 830 and my temps have dropped 5C from the natural Skippy. I think I may have stumbled onto something here...

Anyone had any experience using Nutella as a substitute?I hear it is more common in the UK that peanut butter.

It's more of a temporary solution. Due to high lactose content in the milk that is used, it can cause premature bearing failures in certain fans. It can also corrupt the heat pipes on heatsinks, which in turn infects the even numbered (2 and 4) CPU cores on quad cores, as these are most susceptible to failing.

In a nutshell, avoid Nutella.

I've found the best solution to be buying some unsalted peanuts (in bulk or measured matters not) just make sure they're unsalted, the salt in salted peanuts dries the mixture. But anyway, get the unsalted peanuts, grind them up without the shells and mix in just a little vegetable oil and grind it up until it's a nice paste. This way you get an easy to apply paste (from the oil and grinding it yourself) but you still get the natural power from the peanuts.

I've done some testing with this method and have concluded it not only to be great for fan bearing vibrations, but also for replacing rubber dampers that you would place between screws and drive bays. I have proof below.

Noise from computer (dB)

With rubber rings 54dB

With homemade mixture -877dB

As you can see, this peanut butter mixture is excellent for making a truly silent computer. There is a whole 931dB difference!

I have also tested this mixture in place of the famed Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. See the results below.

Q6600 Temps w/ famed AS5 idle/load: 34*/52*

Q6600 Temps w/ homemade mixture: -17*/-2*

As you can see from this, my homemade mixture keeps my Q6600 at a modest -2* at full load! Also note that there is a smaller temperature swing between idle and load with the homemade mixture, thus my Q6600 has a much lower chance of electrical failure.

You guys really need to try this out, it works wonders.