Help is kids gaming rig

nemo74

Hello super smart computer people!

I am a long time reading and this is the best spot for one stop shopping adivce on computers and great advice! So now that I have kissed up to who ever chooses to read this, let me tell you why I'm here!

I'm going to build my daughter a rig for her school work and gaming. She likes to play WoW, Mass effect, D3 when it comes out, and elder scrolls. She currently hogs my computer since its the only one in the house that can play all those games on the ultra settings. I want to make hers gaming centered with a cheap budget. This is what I was looking at for a build, there will be no overclocking of any kind on this. Comments would be helpful.

Cheap O Intel MB

i5-2400

G skill ripjaws 8gb ram

EVGA gtx550 1gb

Cooler master 750W PS

WD SATA 6.0 250gb

CD burner

Antec Nine Hundred mid tower case

Grand total:$769.75 (will this play the games mentioned about at near top settings?)

UPDATED on last page.

Edited by nemo74

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think yes it will run those games with no problem on a given resolution !!!

But I guess 1080P resolution will force her to lower the settings to have a smooth experience.

Edited by N.E.A

The i5-2400 is a good choice, but for those games, an i3-2100 or 2120 for ~$100 will work just fine. You could also find cheaper RAM, or buy some used 2x2GB memory. No need for 8GB's. You can also save money on the PSU. You can find a good deal at around $50 for a 650W, which is all she'll ever need for a single graphics card set-up.

With that added money, you can focus on a better graphics card than a GTX 550 and a 250GB hard drive. Definitely go with a 240GB SSD for $205 if you can find one at that cost again, or a GTX 570, which you can find around $240 used with serial-warranty (for gaming, put more into a graphics card than a SSD, just throwing options).

That mobo you chose doesn't have enough ports for an extra video card so considering you won't SLI I think you can safely get a TX 650 ( even a 500 watt PSU will be fine with that graphics card).

The i5-2400 is a good choice, but for those games, an i3-2100 or 2120 for ~$100 will work just fine. You could also find cheaper RAM, or buy some used 2x2GB memory. No need for 8GB's. You can also save money on the PSU. You can find a good deal at around $50 for a 650W, which is all she'll ever need for a single graphics card set-up.

With that added money, you can focus on a better graphics card than a GTX 550 and a 250GB hard drive. Definitely go with a 240GB SSD for $205 if you can find one at that cost again.

+1

i5 - has 4 cores and runs 4 threads and has turbo boost

i3 - has 2 cores but also runs 4 threads ; doesn't have turbo -boost but you don't need it for games really. I also recommend the i3.

Games don't use more than 4 gigs of ram even with mods.

With the money you save off cpu ram and PSU you can get her this 560 Ti:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121570

Or this 6870:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

The most important thing in games is the video card.

edit: i accidentally said i3 has 4 cores

Edited by Rofltroll

+1

i5 - has 4 cores and runs 4 threads and has turbo boost

i3 - has 4 cores but also runs 4 threads ; doesn't have turbo -boost but you don't need it for games really. I also recommend the i3.

Games don't use more than 4 gigs of ram even with mods.

With the money you save off cpu ram and PSU you can get her this 560 Ti:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121570

Or this 6870:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

The most important thing in games is the video card.

+1'ing my +1

In order of importance for gaming builds:

1. Graphics card - This is what matters the most.

2. PSU - Depends on what type of graphics card you get. 500W's is a good minimum, but you can find good 650W PSU's for $10 - $15 more.

3. CPU + MB - Not entirely important, but cost per performance means a SB CPU or an AMD APU.

4. Case - Good airflow will help lower the heat build-up of your CPU and Graphics card.

5. Memory - No need to have more than 4GB's memory.

6. Storage - Games will install, uninstall, and load faster with a SSD, but HDD's give you more GB/$.

The best thing to do is find the cheapest minimum on everything so you can get the best graphics card with the money leftover.

Okay a few thoughts, first the i5 2400 is a much underrated chip and will do fine for what you want, however an i3 will also deliver a great gaming experience so do not discount it. As for the motherboard, do not get that board get a Z68 based instead. I found an ASrock board for less money than the one you listed. The Z68 gives you some overclocking options the H boards do not just in case.

While the 900 was a great case in it's day there are now better cases at the same price or even a little less. Find something in a style she will like, trust me there are a LOT of style choices and great cases at the $100 price point down to about $75.

Cut back on the PSU, you can get buy with a 650 MAX and likely even cut down to a 500 as Rofltroll mentioned.

One area I would look at putting a bit more money into is the video card, you can get 560 Ti cards for right at $200 and get a nice boost.

If the budget needs to be made tighter this deal is sweet...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1241992&sku=B69-1367

Not gonna get an overclock but will give you a solid base to build from and then add a nice video card and still be under the price you listed.

Okay a few thoughts, first the i5 2400 is a much underrated chip and will do fine for what you want, however an i3 will also deliver a great gaming experience so do not discount it. As for the motherboard, do not get that board get a Z68 based instead. I found an ASrock board for less money than the one you listed. The Z68 gives you some overclocking options the H boards do not just in case.

Not only that, but if you get a 64GB SSD with the 250GB HDD, you can put that 64GB to cache that HDD using Intel SRT.

While the 900 was a great case in it's day there are now better cases at the same price or even a little less. Find something in a style she will like, trust me there are a LOT of style choices and great cases at the $100 price point down to about $75.

You can find AMAZING cases at the $45 - $65 range.

In order of importance for gaming builds:

1. Graphics card - This is what matters the most.

2. PSU - Depends on what type of graphics card you get. 500W's is a good minimum, but you can find good 650W PSU's for $10 - $15 more.

3. CPU + MB - Not entirely important, but cost per performance means a SB CPU or an AMD APU.

4. Case - Good airflow will help lower the heat build-up of your CPU and Graphics card.

5. Memory - No need to have more than 4GB's memory.

6. Storage - Games will install, uninstall, and load faster with a SSD, but HDD's give you more GB/$.

El I am gonna have to disagree with some of what you have put here. The determination of CPU or GPU is really dependent on the type of game to be played. RPGs, MMOs and RTS games all benefit more from a CPU than FPS games do. These are also the games most likely to push multi-cores more in the future and the most modded thus often needing more RAM than other games.

Now I will not disagree about getting the best video card you can afford but the CPU does play a factor.

As for which CPU, right now it is hard to suggest an AMD based system. Intels i3 can run right with the Phenom II and the FX 4100 and as you get close to $200 the i5 holds a solid lead over anything AMD has.

In the case of the PSU you are dead on the mark, DO NOT SKIMP on the PSU, a cheap one will make a great system run like crap! Possibly even damage it.

However I also suggest not skimping on the case if the budget allows it. A good case can last you for years through a number of builds.

RAM, unless your budget is really tight get 8 gig. Yeah you may not need it now but the price is excellent and it never hurts to have more than you need. The $20 savings of a 4 gig kit over an 8 gig kit is not worth missing out on the extra RAM unless it is going to break the budget.

As for Storage again it depends. If you can break the PC hoarding habit and will be running a gaming system with just one or two games at a time, then the SSD is the way to go. A 60 gig SSD can hold a couple of games, the OS and some other programs pretty well. However if you are a packrat of software and data then it will be to small. 120 Gig prices have fallen to around $130 making them very attractive but again you need to be a disciplined user. However the reward for that discipline is a system that is much snapper and offers a quicker computing experience.

I just want to say your comments have brought a tear to my eye!

I thought I did good but with your knowledge and adivce I will do better!

Thanks so much. I'm going back to newegg and follow your adivce and post up the changes!

Thanks so very much!

You can find AMAZING cases at the $45 - $65 range.

Good point, the Core 3000 from Fractal is at $70 plus shipping. Plus the Antec 300, Thermaltake Commander, Cooler Master Storm Scout, HAF 912 and NZXT Source 220.

I just want to say your comments have brought a tear to my eye!

I thought I did good but with your knowledge and adivce I will do better!

Thanks so much. I'm going back to newegg and follow your adivce and post up the changes!

Thanks so very much!

Nemo you did fine, we can all benefit sometimes from a little tweaking cheers.gif