Annoyances Of The Computer World

Bosco

How would you rate this article? (10 being the best)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this article? (10 being the best)

I like the concept, except:

1) As an IT consultant, I like people with problems. Problems = $

2) That article is long and seems geared towards those of us who already have a good understanding of the problems and solutions. I'd like to see a 1-page summary with brief explanations and exact instructions for the novice.

my $.02

I gave it a low rating because of your mention of SpyHunter (Engima softtware) which also advertises on this site - you may have seen their banner ad advertising NoAdware.

These programs are scams- they are neither free nor effective- they won't do anything until you pay them $29.99.

AdAware will tag these programs as malware if you install them and there are lots of places that will regale you with stories on why not to use these products (Google for SpyHunter and NoAdware). I made the mistake of trying NoAdware last night since it was advertised here (somehow that made me think it was trustworthy). Fortunately I didn't let myself get duped into paying for it! I just re-ran AdAware and let it remove NoAdware for me (even after I ran the uninstall it left plenty of things behind I didn't trust).

I also think that cwshredder deserves a mention as it is an excellent resource for ridding your PC of the CoolWebSearch hijack.

Advertisements on this site are done by a 3rd party, and I get nothing from them.

While it would have been nice to list all software available to rid of spyware/adware/etc, it's just not possible. As I said in the article, the software listed is not affiliated with OCC, and that it wasn't a complete list of apps.

Also mentioned in the article that some spyware removal programs will actually install spyware, which is why you should read the EULA.

It was posted to the front page news a while back about adaware vs. spyhunter. Article can be found here. You'll see that the reason ad-aware marks SpyHunter as "malware" is because of the data transmitted during scans and updates, as well as the questionable pop-ups used for advertisements.

It may be questionable software (and not something I'll use) but it is still a popular program.

Its pretty good to give you links to try new software just i only use teh free stuff, the best theing here that ive been using long b4 the article is adaware 6. Lavasoft gives u the free scanner and offers you a way to prevent spyware, personalyl i think it's teh best thign ive tried out there (remember FREE) Oh look at that 1 reg key and 28 files identified. lol

\

:foldon:

Sorry about the rant. I appreciate the explanation about the advertising as well. I went off a little bit on that one and I didn't mean to belittle the efforts of others to create useful information. I actually read the EULA (for once) for NoAdware and didn't see a mention of what it would install- perhaps I should re-read it. I read the same information regarding SpyHunter on the Lavasoft site (i wasn't aware it had been posted here).