2013 Firearms Discussion

Nyt

Assuming you will be briefed on safety, its basically point and shoot.

Let me give you a few of my tips.  Your snub revolver is a close range weapon with a good amount of powder in the bullet.  There is not a lot of accuracy built into it.  Therefore don't try to use it for distance target shooting with a small target.  Learn to use it for what its intended for.  Lets be honest.  Its meant to shoot SOMEONE.

If you have a circular target then aim relatively to the 6 o'clock position on the target, to start with, until you see where your shots are going.  I don't know how much trigger resistance you have on your particular pistol, but get used to squeezing smoothly, with consistency.  If you pull too quickly, you may be moving your aim as you squeeze, with bad, inconsistent, end results.

Lead with your arm and shoulder closest to the target with the rest of your body at a kind of side profile.  You don't need to face the target with your chest and your arm sticking out straight forward from your body.

Get used to the recoil and don't be impressed with what people say about it.  If your arm is extended then most of the recoil will actually happen in your wrist area.  You can learn to recover your aim faster as you get used to recoil.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Good Luck.

Edit: Dayam, It looks like I was a day late and a bullet short on the advice.  Glad all went well for you.

More like months late. :P

I finally shot for the first time with my friends. Shot my friend's Browning Buckmark (22LR) and Glock 22 (.40). It was alot of fun but the Glock was ridiculous, it threw shell casings every which way...though either I was improving or it was a little more accurate (hard to believe since the buckmark has a longer barrel...though I guess the extra gun powder might increase the round velocity to keep the .40 on target better) Also dat recoil on the Glock, I really didn't like much of anything about that gun. Even loading the Glock was a pain in the ass (though it's one perk was being a 15 round mag instead of a 10).

Also ANOTHER point against the Glock...$38.95 for 100 rounds and the .22 was a lovely $8.95 for 100 rounds. I'm already loving .22LR for leisure shooting!!

I feel pretty well versed that I'll feel much more natural the next time.

I finally got my forms/fingerprints in for my firewarms id and pistol permits... now *only* 3 months of pointless waiting before I get my U22 Neos and possibly a shotgun or Ruger P95 after that when I master the Neos (I love NJ!! :glare:)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I finally shot for the first time with my friends. Shot my friend's Browning Buckmark (22LR) and Glock 22 (.40). It was alot of fun but the Glock was ridiculous, it threw shell casings every which way...though either I was improving or it was a little more accurate (hard to believe since the buckmark has a longer barrel...though I guess the extra gun powder might increase the round velocity to keep the .40 on target better) Also dat recoil on the Glock, I really didn't like much of anything about that gun. Even loading the Glock was a pain in the ass (though it's one perk was being a 15 round mag instead of a 10).

Also ANOTHER point against the Glock...$38.95 for 100 rounds and the .22 was a lovely $8.95 for 100 rounds. I'm already loving .22LR for leisure shooting!!

I finally got my forms/fingerprints in for my firewarms id and pistol permits... now *only* 3 months of pointless waiting before I get my U22 Neos and possibly a shotgun or Ruger P95 after that when I master the Neos (I love NJ!! :glare:)

Got to hang on to that .40. You can't limp wrist it. The .40 is going to have some kick pushing a slug that fast. 9mm velocity with almost .45 slugs. Just hang on and enjoy it. I find I am just as accurate with the 9mm, .40 and .45.

All depends on the weight/length of the gun anyways.

Then again I've shot slugs out of a stupid little 'shortened' 12GA before, thats kicked the most out of anything and it wasn't even fired from the shoulder.

A .40 tends to have a more "snappier" kick to it.  You'd probably enjoy shooting a 9mm or .45 more.

A .40 tends to have a more "snappier" kick to it.  You'd probably enjoy shooting a 9mm or .45 more.

ive never shot a 40 my self, but i think .45's are more comfortable to shoot, my 9mm jumps around more but thats probably due to it having a smaller frame than my 1911.

but 9mm is much cheaper to shoot, i try to offset that by reloading my .45s

.40 does have quite a bit more muzzle flip but does come back down to sight picture pretty well. Just a bit intimidating for a  first time shooter. Hell, my lady friend I shoot with from time to time is 4"10 and 100 pounds and can rock a 45 like it's no problem but has a hard time taming .40.