2013 Firearms Discussion

Nyt

Here is a good lesson on what not to do. This happened at the local mall yesterday and a shooting buddy of mine is the head of security at the mall and shared this story from the local papers website. Had a decent discussion about it today.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/jan/05/gun-goes-off-in-store-at-kitsap-mall/

If you can get your hands on some other guns to shoot, like a hangun with slide, here are a couple of really good tips for proper grip and trigger control.

These will help greatly with accuracy and recoil management.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhTA-n0ivE

Trigger stripe drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azb3q8wOrV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h9rKDEXPvM

Also, here is a diagram that will explain what is going wrong in trigger pull/grip if your point of aim isn't matching point of impact.

http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images/target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg

Well that was fun :) Fired some rounds and it was not as bad as I thought.

It was worse watching my dad firing first because the flash out of the barrel was bright and kept making me blink every time he fired down range.

I could barely see the flash when I fired my shots... So I'll definitely look away when my dad fires down range in the future.

The recoil was not very bad at all.

I think the scariest experience was when I pulled the trigger and nothing fired but I realised that we skipped over a bullet in the chamber when my dad showed me how to pull the hammer back to make the trigger sensitive (Edit : I just remembered it was called "Single action" I think, but I didn't really like single action since I preferred being able to feel the trigger being pulled and firing).

I followed all the tips on safety that were in this thread and that my dad told me and everything went perfectly.

Doubling up on ear protection was a very good suggestion, the sound was like playing Far Cry 3 loud through my headphones which was bearable. (Edit : The indoor range we went to had different long rooms that were sound proofed since it was in a fairly urban area and each group rents their own room per hour so it was just me and my dad in one room which made it more comfortable for me and there was nobody else at the range in the other rooms so it was nice and quiet.)

Missed the target on my first shot since the target was only an A4 piece of paper. Once we arranged the targets to form the size of a human chest, my shots were on target around the middle of the chest so I'm quite happy ... :)

Edited by Midnight Rider
  • Like 1

I think the scariest experience was when I pulled the trigger and nothing fired but I realised that we skipped over a bullet in the chamber when my dad showed me how to pull the hammer back to make the trigger sensitive (Edit : I just remembered it was called "Single action" I think, but I didn't really like single action since I preferred being able to feel the trigger being pulled and firing).

If the hammer cocked itself while you pulled the trigger it's a double action.  A single action has to be cocked manually each time.  A double will cock itself when the trigger is pulled but can also be cocked manually.  And you'd probably shoot better cocking it manually.  The heavy trigger pull makes it harder to stay on target.

If the hammer cocked itself while you pulled the trigger it's a double action.  A single action has to be cocked manually each time.  A double will cock itself when the trigger is pulled but can also be cocked manually.  And you'd probably shoot better cocking it manually.  The heavy trigger pull makes it harder to stay on target.

Some revolvers are both Single and Double action. Im sure you knew that but I'm just putting it out there for Midnight.  :)

A double will cock itself when the trigger is pulled but can also be cocked manually.  And you'd probably shoot better cocking it manually.  The heavy trigger pull makes it harder to stay on target.

Yip Im sure my dad's is a double since I got to try both ways of firing but I just prefer the heavy trigger pull

Edited by Midnight Rider

• 3 months later...

Lets keep the trend going, hijack Obamas hashtag on twitter #NowIsTheTime (check out just how into this they are, just look at WhiteHouse.gov)

Though at the moment I belive there are more PRO-2nd amendment tweets than there are against, I'd call this successfully hijacked.

But we should keep posting with that hashtag, that way ANYONE who visits Obamas or the whitehouse twitter or whitehouse.gov and clicks on these links gets to see OUR voice instead of theirs.

Lets keep the trend going, hijack Obamas hashtag on twitter #NowIsTheTime (check out just how into this they are, just look at WhiteHouse.gov)

Though at the moment I belive there are more PRO-2nd amendment tweets than there are against, I'd call this successfully hijacked.

But we should keep posting with that hashtag, that way ANYONE who visits Obamas or the whitehouse twitter or whitehouse.gov and clicks on these links gets to see OUR voice instead of theirs.

It was successfully hijacked. Can't see a single pro-2nd Am tweet right now.

Assuming you will be briefed on safety, its basically point and shoot.

Let me give you a few of my tips.  Your snub revolver is a close range weapon with a good amount of powder in the bullet.  There is not a lot of accuracy built into it.  Therefore don't try to use it for distance target shooting with a small target.  Learn to use it for what its intended for.  Lets be honest.  Its meant to shoot SOMEONE.

If you have a circular target then aim relatively to the 6 o'clock position on the target, to start with, until you see where your shots are going.  I don't know how much trigger resistance you have on your particular pistol, but get used to squeezing smoothly, with consistency.  If you pull too quickly, you may be moving your aim as you squeeze, with bad, inconsistent, end results.

Lead with your arm and shoulder closest to the target with the rest of your body at a kind of side profile.  You don't need to face the target with your chest and your arm sticking out straight forward from your body.

Get used to the recoil and don't be impressed with what people say about it.  If your arm is extended then most of the recoil will actually happen in your wrist area.  You can learn to recover your aim faster as you get used to recoil.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Good Luck.

Edit: Dayam, It looks like I was a day late and a bullet short on the advice.  Glad all went well for you.

Edited by Kwok