iPhone OS 4.0

Ryu Hayabusa

So the iPhone is finally going to support multitasking w/ the new OS due out at the end of this month, but they are adding ADs to the apps (Called iAD, man I really am getting tired of the iWhatever crap that is going around now).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/193590/live...s_40_event.html

10:47 PT: Steve Jobs back on stage: Seventh tentpole is iAd, mobile advertising built into iPhone OS 4.

10:47 PT: A lot of the apps on the device are free, or 99 cents, or $1.99. And we like that. Users like that. But these developers have to find a way to make some money. And we'd like to help them. What some developers are starting to do is put advertising in their apps, and we think most of this mobile advertising really sucks. And we thought we could make some contributions. This is what this is all about. Helping our developers make some money in advertising so they can keep their free apps free.

10:48 PT: On the desktop, search is where it's at. That's where the money is. But on a mobile device, search hasn't happened. Search isn't where the money's at. What's happening is, they're spending all their time in apps. When people want to find a place to go to dinner, they're not searching, they're opening up the Yelp app. And this is where the opportunity to deliver advertising is. Not as part of search, but as part of apps.

10:47AM DanF: "It's all about helping our developers make money through advertising so they can keep teir free apps free." Unspoken: big benefits to Apple here, too.

10:49 PT: The average iPhone user spends a little over 30 minutes every day using apps. Now, if we said we wanted to put an ad up every 3 minutes, that would be 10 ads per device per day. We're going to soon have 100 million devices. That's a billion ad opportunities per day in the iPhone and iPod touch community. This is a pretty serious opportunity. And it's an incredible demographic. But we want to do more than that. We want to change the quality of the advertising as well...

I'm not quite sure i know what to think about it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

alot of free android apps have built in ads (we'll call them gAd's) but whatever free is free :)

I'm interested to see the Iphone get multitasking, my old Windows Mobile phone had it, wish my Android did (I mean it sort of does but only if it's music or something that HAS to be running in the background)

alot of free android apps have built in ads (we'll call them gAd's) but whatever free is free :)

I'm interested to see the Iphone get multitasking, my old Windows Mobile phone had it, wish my Android did (I mean it sort of does but only if it's music or something that HAS to be running in the background)

My iPhone has apps w/ Ads in them two. But usually you can choice a free, lesser version w/ Ads or the greater version w/ no ads. Like i said, i don't know what to think about it yet. Wait to see what its like, i guess. it might be cool or it might be a royal pain in the @$$. All i know is that i will be able to finally listen to Pandora and do everything else i want at the same time.

Edited by Ryu Hayabusa

My iPhone has apps w/ Ads in them two. But usually you can choice a free, lesser version w/ Ads or the greater version w/ no ads. Like i said, i don't know what to think about it yet. Wait to see what its like, i guess. it might be cool or it might be a royal pain in the @$$. All i know is that i will be able to finally listen to Pandora and do everything else i want at the same time.

Ouch, you can't even run THAT kind of thing in the background??

and I take back that android doesn't have multi tasking, I just booted up Pandora, Last.fm and Slacker Radio and have them all going on in the back ground while I play advance wars on my gba emulator :).

<3 you android (though the emulator isn't running smooth at all, but all three music streamers were running perfectly and no hiccups at all over the mobile internet) This could be remedied when I get a phone with a better processor

So the iPhone is finally going to support multitasking w/ the new OS due out at the end of this month

It's not coming out at the end of this month, it's coming out at the end of June.

4.0 looks good, now let's see what the fourth gen hardware has in store. If it's not compelling, I've got my eyes on the HTC Desire.

Writing Windows Phone 7 is that difficult for you? It's actually one less letter, so it should be easier.

The reason is due to hardware. The iPhone 3G has 128MB of RAM whereas the 3GS has 256MB of RAM, plus the 3GS has a faster processor. This may not seem like a big deal seeing as how other phones have managed to multitask with less than 256MB of RAM and a slower processor just fine, but when you jailbreak and install multitasking, you can actually see where Apple is coming from. It's certainly possible on the 3G, but after a few hours it really does start to bog down quite a bit and forces you to shut down all the extra programs. You can have just two or three apps open and you've used up all the RAM on the thing. To summarize, it's not in Apple's best interest to offer it to 3G users and watch the litany of complaints come pouring in about how slow their phones are. Plus, most 3G users will be coming to the end of their contracts this year, so they will be eligible to upgrade to the new fourth gen iPhone that's coming out in the summer.

Writing Windows Phone 7 is that difficult for you? It's actually one less letter, so it should be easier.

I just don't know what was wrong with Windows Mobile 7, Windows Phone 7 sounds stupid to me (and it's shorter if you call it WinMo, and in that scenario WinPho would be longer :P )

The reason is due to hardware. The iPhone 3G has 128MB of RAM whereas the 3GS has 256MB of RAM, plus the 3GS has a faster processor. This may not seem like a big deal seeing as how other phones have managed to multitask with less than 256MB of RAM and a slower processor just fine, but when you jailbreak and install multitasking, you can actually see where Apple is coming from. It's certainly possible on the 3G, but after a few hours it really does start to bog down quite a bit and forces you to shut down all the extra programs. You can have just two or three apps open and you've used up all the RAM on the thing. To summarize, it's not in Apple's best interest to offer it to 3G users and watch the litany of complaints come pouring in about how slow their phones are. Plus, most 3G users will be coming to the end of their contracts this year, so they will be eligible to upgrade to the new fourth gen iPhone that's coming out in the summer.

See that's what I'm talking about though, the Iphone can never be all that it can be being an Apple product. I'm not saying my old WM phone was, but it was just so free in how I could use it. If I want to bog down my phone than let me, I never expected my old WM phone to run like butter with 2-3+ programs running but it still gave me the freedom to. The Iphone 3G and possibly even the 2G can probably run circles around my old phone so I don't see why Apple wont just include it for everyone and the users use it to best of their ability given the hardware their on.

I don't know how well the hacking community is with the Iphoner's but I hope someone figures out how to enable it for all the models.

If you're looking for choice to do as you please, then most Apple products are not for you. Apple gains its reputation for providing a simple and stable environment by strictly controlling the experience. Now if people like stability and simplicity and want something that just plain works without having to read a manual, then Apple products are perfect for them. However, if you want to mess around with literally every little setting and want to decide for yourself what level of stability and security you want, then you need other options, like Windows Mobile or Android.

To each their own, I don't understand the need to bash one another. That's the beauty of a free market, you can choose the experience that fits you best.

If you're looking for choice to do as you please, then most Apple products are not for you. Apple gains its reputation for providing a simple and stable environment by strictly controlling the experience. Now if people like stability and simplicity and want something that just plain works without having to read a manual, then Apple products are perfect for them. However, if you want to mess around with literally every little setting and want to decide for yourself what level of stability and security you want, then you need other options, like Windows Mobile or Android.

To each their own, I don't understand the need to bash one another. That's the beauty of a free market, you can choose the experience that fits you best.

+1, all the way, you put it extremely well.

That WAS quite well put... It's pretty obvious (you know it, I know it :D ) that my mug wont be seen in an Apple store but I still do genuinely hope that someone unlocks the full 4.0 for the older devices.

I do like the Iphone, it's one of the only (besides the Ipod Touch obviously) Apple products that I have little to say negatively about. It's a wonderful device, I just hate that it gets shackled in so many ways instead of being free to reach it's full potential.

As a previous owner of a Touch Pro...I know what it's like to have good hardware bogged down by software limitations, heck my new Hero runs the SAME hardware and is far more capable.