MMO games stutter really bad in big populated areas

RichAC

The only options are ahci and raid. No i don't have any other drives connected. Actually ya on that first test i was using the computer while it was running lol. But then i went ahead and used the HDtach program which was much better. i think my minimum was similar to yours. between 70-90.

I haven't installed utorrent yet afraid its gonna screw my dpc latency.  right now i'm  just enjoying the fact i haven't gotten a single latency lag for a day now.  not even storport.sys.  The game is def running better.   But the hdd caching and hitching only in these mmo games is still there and it really annoys me.

I'm trying to figure out which would be a better upgrade.   Getting a cheap ssd just for my O/S and maybe one mmo game? lol  or upgrading the ram.     i have 6gb ddr3 1066hz ram? maybe that is too slow? should i upgrade to 8gb 1600hz ram? would i see much of a diff? or would an ssd be the greater diff maker in these mmo games. I'm thinking maybe ram would only help the fps slightly but not the hitching, and i would still be cpu limited anyways. Should I ask this in the games section? Thanks for your reply.

Edited by RichAC

Getting a cheap ssd just for my O/S and maybe one mmo game? lol  or upgrading the ram?     i have 6gb ddr3 1066hz ram? maybe that is too slow? should i upgrade to 8gb 1600hz ram? would i see much of a diff? or would an ssd be the greater diff maker in these mmo games. I'm thinking maybe ram would only help the fps slightly but not the hitching, and i would still be cpu limited anyways?

Particularly in mmo and open world rpg games  where i have hitching in the performance.

Thankyou for your thoughts.

Rich.

Edited by RichAC

The difference you would notice with increased RAM frequency would be nominal, however an SSD would greatly boost both Windows loading times and loading times of anything on the disk.

I still think that your lag issues may be caused by RAM however, try running the rig one stick at a time and see how things go, it may turn out you can replace the RAM to solve the issues you are having.

Edited by EuroFight

Even in towns, GW has hard and soft population limits, so may not give an accurate feel. Yes, RTS = real-time strategy. Nothing free that I can think of and don't want to tell you to go out and spend money just to troubleshoot. I believe there's a starter edition of SC2 for free, but not sure what that provides. If you bought the recent THQ Humble Bundle, you'll have copies of Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. I think it'd be very hard to generate a ton of units in CoH though...not sure about DoW, as I haven't played the original.

FYI, that evga thread is from 2010, not 2007. I also wouldn't be so quick to blame it on f2p games and whatnot as I've played several MMOS, both P2P and F2P and have never experienced the issues you're encountering, which includes Global Agenda and LOTRO (though haven't played the latter since beta). You seem to be under the impression that games turn to F2P because they aren't optimized, but that's not the case at all. Some could argue, apart from WoW, that F2P games are under more stress than P2P because they typically attract more players, especially at launch.

The two most recent MMOs I've played are RIFT and RaiderZ. RIFT is P2P, but I believe you can get a trial if you want to check it out. RaiderZ is F2P, but I don't think it's officially released yet, so you'd have to apply for beta and hope to get in, or find someone with a key.

Hey I appreciate you're not deliberately doing this, but can you stop creating so many different threads about your issue.

I appreciate it is frustrating having an issue with your computer but if you just stick to one thread then it would be much easier for us to find all the information we need. Also, having multiple threads is unlikely to get more people to reply to you as we have to keep looking around to check if you have answered any of our questions on other threads, which takes even more time. You can always bump up your thread if you aren't getting any replies.

Thank you for your consideration.

- Euro

Edited by EuroFight

Even in towns, GW has hard and soft population limits, so may not give an accurate feel. Yes, RTS = real-time strategy. Nothing free that I can think of and don't want to tell you to go out and spend money just to troubleshoot. I believe there's a starter edition of SC2 for free, but not sure what that provides. If you bought the recent THQ Humble Bundle, you'll have copies of Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. I think it'd be very hard to generate a ton of units in CoH though...not sure about DoW, as I haven't played the original.

FYI, that evga thread is from 2010, not 2007. I also wouldn't be so quick to blame it on f2p games and whatnot as I've played several MMOS, both P2P and F2P and have never experienced the issues you're encountering, which includes Global Agenda and LOTRO (though haven't played the latter since beta). You seem to be under the impression that games turn to F2P because they aren't optimized, but that's not the case at all. Some could argue, apart from WoW, that F2P games are under more stress than P2P because they typically attract more players, especially at launch.

The two most recent MMOs I've played are RIFT and RaiderZ. RIFT is P2P, but I believe you can get a trial if you want to check it out. RaiderZ is F2P, but I don't think it's officially released yet, so you'd have to apply for beta and hope to get in, or find someone with a key.

I think technical difficulties are the main reasons people are quitting these games. It seems the the newer the windows and game patches get, the worse performance gets. Hey i could be wrong. But the abundant threads upon threads upon threads of people complaining about the same issues are pretty clear to me.

I think the most limiting and problem factor on my pc is my cpu.....but I played WoW on a p4 back in the days! lol and the grahpics weren't that much worse then these games. and i think the fact it ran well was the main reason it was popular. call me crazy.... who knows how it runs nowadays though, th3 fact its probably more bloated and people are using win 7 64 might have changed things, but i'm assuming it still runs the best and is still popular. I'm trying to get a trial key to test.

But anyways.... you don't have those issues huh? thats nice. most people apparenlty do.

lemme ask you a question.... would going from 6b 1066hz to 8gb 1600hz make any noticeable diff. I'm thinking probably not. and it would be better to get an ssd hdd?

thanks for your patience.....

Edited by RichAC

Hey I appreciate you're not deliberately doing this, but can you stop creating so many different threads about your issue.

I appreciate it is frustrating having an issue with your computer but if you just stick to one thread then it would be much easier for us to find all the information we need. Also, having multiple threads is unlikely to get more people to reply to you as we have to keep looking around to check if you have answered any of our questions on other threads, which takes even more time. You can always bump up your thread if you aren't getting any replies.

Thank you for your consideration.

- Euro

hahaha. I appreciate you not answering the question. I remember a time years ago when this website was uber popular.....

The difference you would notice with increased RAM frequency would be nominal, however an SSD would greatly boost both Windows loading times and loading times of anything on the disk.

I still think that your lag issues may be caused by RAM however, try running the rig one stick at a time and see how things go, it may turn out you can replace the RAM to solve the issues you are having.

I appreciate you answering the question. Just delete that other thread my apologies.

maybe i could take out the two 1gb sticks and just run on the two 4gbs and see what happens. am i correct that these newer computers still use some sort of dual channel and u have to have two sticks that match? or does it not matter? for example will the computer still perform well with 1 2gb stick and one 1 gb stick that are not matching?

I have a feeling its just the game and nothing i can do about it. Probably bad compatibility with my cpu more then anything. but its worth a shot. Thanks for your advice.

oh another good question. is there a program to see which sticks are being loaded into memory. I'm curious now, maybe the first sticks getting loaded are the two 1gb slots. or does the O/S not work like that? I really appreciated your patience and input.

Edited by RichAC

I think technical difficulties are the main reasons people are quitting these games. It seems the the newer the windows and game patches get, the worse performance gets. Hey i could be wrong. But the abundant threads upon threads upon threads of people complaining about the same issues are pretty clear to me.

I think the most limiting and problem factor on my pc is my cpu.....but I played WoW on a p4 back in the days! lol and the grahpics weren't that much worse then these games. and i think the fact it ran well was the main reason it was popular. call me crazy.... who knows how it runs nowadays though, th3 fact its probably more bloated and people are using win 7 64 might have changed things, but i'm assuming it still runs the best and is still popular. I'm trying to get a trial key to test.

But anyways.... you don't have those issues huh? thats nice. most people apparenlty do.

lemme ask you a question.... would going from 6b 1066hz to 8gb 1600hz make any noticeable diff. I'm thinking probably not. and it would be better to get an ssd hdd?

thanks for your patience.....

WoW was purposely made to be playable on as many computers as possible, thus the dated, cartoony graphics.

Again, stop claiming that "most people" experience the issues you describe. They don't. MOST people play the aforementioned games just fine. Just because you find a few threads on the subject, don't forget that thousands to millions of people play each MMO. The percentage of players with problems like yours is miniscule. I'm not saying you don't have a right to be frustrated, but stop trying to pin this on some great big industry problem. There's no conspiracy here.

As for your RAM, I don't know what to tell you. I don't think increasing your RAM is going to help because I'm currently only running 4GB and not getting your problems. That's assuming your RAM is indeed perfectly fine and they're not actually corrupt despite what Memtest+ tells you. I also do not have an SSD in my current rig, so I can't propose that would fix your problem either. However, if it is indeed an issue with your hard drive getting overworked, then obviously that would be at least mitigated by an SSD that would run significantly faster.

Rich, in my opinion EF was being altruistic when he recommended that you minimize the number of threads you start that deal with the same or similar topic.  Just briefly perusing the forums I've found at least three threads started by you on the same or similar topic.  It's not like he was calling you out and he made some valid points in his post.  Not sure how you took his response but to me it sounded fair, polite and courteous.  To keep the forums cleaned up I'll go through and merge your questions into a single thread.  Hopefully that will generate more interest and more answers to your topic.

Hi Rich,

I appreciate your apology, I'm sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt on the other thread, so you have my apologies for that too :).

Yes, you could check using 2x1GB as a pair aswell as the 2x2GB pair and see if they affect anything. You are correct that the modules must be the same size to run in dual-channel mode.

As this issue is recurring in multiple games, it is unlikely it will be an issue with compatibility with all the games. I play Battlefield 3 and a number of MMOs regularly and don't experience any lag that cannot be attributed to hardware bottlenecks. Generally speaking, programs that run on Windows x64 will work on Intel and AMD technology due to the unified x86-64 instruction process. All consumer processors with 64-bit manufactured by AMD or Intel will be based on this.

I am personally unaware of any software to measure the usage of individual RAM sticks but perhaps someone else will know.

Hope this helps,

- Euro

Edited by EuroFight