Just about ready to buy this Haswell build, could you check it over?

theaterinterior

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $389.00) Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $265.00) Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $62.00) Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00) Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (Purchased For $405.00) Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $259.00) Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $114.00) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 3-Pack (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00) Monitor: Dell U3014 60Hz 30.0" Monitor (Purchased For $1499.99) Total: $0.00 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-07 04:01 EDT-0400) Budget: $1500.00 AUD + $1499.99 for monitor Games: BF4, DayZ, Minecraft and Morrowind (GPU shivers for those last two) Uses: Gaming, Rendering, CAD, Maya, Light room/Photoshop and Pro Tools Overclocking: Yes Extras: KRK Rokit 8" monitors, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro Kind of wondering if it is worth going with liquid cooling in a few months. I'm not willing to risk delidding and I've heard gains are minimal with anything but Sandy Bridge. I really want to over clock heavily though. Quite A few parts are from my last build. CPU and mobo are the only things that are new. Any glaring incompatibilities a or anything?

Where are you located? Might be worth getting stuff shipped in a single order from PCCG or MWave etc.

Also you got the 2012 overhaul for Morrowind? That maxed out really does stress a GPU. Especially when you start force loading extra cells and up the distant landscape quality. Not to mention just generally having the better meshes and higher Res textures.

God i love that game haha

• Like 1

I save about $4 if I recall... I might be a little off, I just remembered I was looking at a different mobo when I compared prices. I shall check again!

EDIT: its less than I thought! CPU is $4 cheaper, mobo is $4 more expensive! Same price, plus shipping.

As for Morrowind... Kind of. I get a HUGE nostalgia kick from that game, so I use the default meshes and textures. I have added a SLIGHTLY increased draw distance (I find being able to see from Seyda Been all the way to Vivec really decreases the scale of the game) but I run some heavy shaders on it. Dynamic depth of field, dynamic landscape shadows, ambient occlusion, reflective water, simulated global illumination in water, god rays... The list gets extensive. I too REALLY love that game. I must have been playing it for nearly ten years at this stage.

Edited by theaterinterior

Looks like a solid build. I too use pcpartpicker.com and I have saved so much money. It gives you the lowest price for each of your components. My only suggestion is a SSD if you can afford it. Even a small one will hold your OC and a few programs and games. Everything else you can put on the HDD. You really do see a difference between using a mechanical hard drive and a SSD. If you can't afford at the moment, make it one of your first upgrades. I'm telling you, you get so much better performance speed wise out of your games with a Solid State Drive. Anyway, solid looking build. Let me know it turns out.

-trixter108

• Like 1

I've had a lot of people telling me to get an SSD. To be honest, I had one for a few years and saw an amazing difference on OS X and Linux, but quite little in Windows.

Still going to look into a newer one though.

What windows did you try it with, nice prospective computer btw!

I tried Windows 8 and Windows 7. The SSD ended up failing anyway, maybe it was just on its way out.

BTW, your username seems very familiar. I'm not sure if its from lurking here a few years ago or if I've seen you somewhere else. You don't happen to frequent any guitar related forums do you?

I tried Windows 8 and Windows 7. The SSD ended up failing anyway, maybe it was just on its way out.

BTW, your username seems very familiar. I'm not sure if its from lurking here a few years ago or if I've seen you somewhere else. You don't happen to frequent any guitar related forums do you?

Yeah, I'd blame hardware or a misinstall/misalign with the Windows partitions/installs attributing to the hampered performance.

Though I use the same username on many forums, I'm afraid I'm not part of any guitar forums. Sorry haha

Well, I'll be sure to report back with my findings when I eventually procure one!

As for the username, it must be from lurking here then, odd that your name stuck out. I guess you provide good content! I only really frequent audio engineering forums and used to frequent the nexus forums for the elder scrolls. 

I'm often very active (my post count kind of speaks for itself, even though I haven't been here THAT long). I do try and provide useful advice and insight though but still can be goofy or obnoxious as well.

I have an account on the Nexus forums but only to get the mods :teehee:

• Like 1