Budget Gaming set up

hortino

So here's my deal, I've got a laptop that I got when I graduated high school about 3 years ago, its great for school and watching movies, but I run around 15 fps standing still, 2-8 in combat, lowest settings, in windowed mode, playing WoW. Obviously this really sucks, and has dicouraged me from branching out and exploring more intense games. Now, I'm not trying to get something that will run me 60fps w/ Skyrim and WoW on ultra running at the same time before my graphics card fan comes on. I want something that will give me a smooth framerate playing WoW on high-ultra settings, and won't blow up on my running some of the higher ends games.

That being said, I'm not sure if its of any consequence, but I'm keeping my laptop and will use it for music, movies, entertainment, etc... So the above build would be used almost exclusively for gaming. I should also mention, I know close to nothing about computer parts and builds.

What I'm asking of some helpful soul out there is, a build that would meet my gaming needs. So I guess a bare minimum gaming grade desktop. I really just need a list of parts, I can do additional research on my own, I just don't really know where to start. And I'm trying to keep it as low as possible, $500ish is about my cap. Thank you in advance.

The rig I currently use was built for gaming, I had a couple of hiccups on the way, admittedly, but in the end I now have a rig capable of running Battlefield 3 on Ultra (2xAA, 4xMSAA), at 45-50fps most of the time. It can also run PlanetSide 2 on max at ~30-40fps, and offers great upgrade-ability in the future (Up to 32GB RAM, CrossFire, Steamroller CPU etc). It is an AMD build so if you particularly want to go Intel, it's probably not the build for you;

PSU - $50: Cooler Master Elite 500W - Stable, cheap, and from a reputable brand (Don't cut corners with this, one mistake I made)

CPU - $105 w/discount: AMD FX-6100 - 6-cores of Bulldozer goodness (You could probably go for a FX-6300 if you wanted, but the GPU is the bottleneck anyway)

RAM - $40: 8GB Corsair Vengeance - Decent RAM and enough for all current-gen games, and probably most next-gen too (Another thing not to cut corners on)

GPU -

Edited by EuroFight

Might as well beef up the GPU a bit and get the GA-970A-UD3 since it also comes with free RAMs.. Give you a better chance in overclocking should you want to.

Adding Mythos' PSU, I'll throw in some of my own:

COMBO

CPU: AMD FX 6300 (Vishera) - $129.99

GPU: Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X - $139.99

_____________Save $9_____________ $260.98 ($245.98 after $15 MIR)

MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - $114.99

RAM: G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB 1600MHz - Free

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST320DM000 320GB - $59.99 (There's a 500GB for $59.99 on Shell Shocker, dunno till when)

PSU: Antec Neo 620C - $49.99 ($29.99 after $20 MIR)

Case: NZXT Source 210 - $39.99 ($31.99 after 20% off w/ promo code, end 1/30)

Total: $525.94 ($482.94 after MIR and Discount)

:cheers: