i7 2600K on ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z OC Issue

I try to OC my 2600K on that motherboard but whatever I do every settings is accepted (RAM OC, Over-Voltage and all the rest) but my CPU remains at 3.4Ghz whatever happens.

me and my friend tried anything we knew and were able to find on internet for around 3hours and we seriously don't know what to do anymore.

Specs :

i7 2600K

ASUS Maximus Iv Extreme-Z

G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz 8Gb 11-11-11-30

PSU : Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you overclocking via the multiplier or the Turbo multipliers?

What settings specifically have you changed? How do you know the CPU frequency isn't changing? Even stock it's unlikely to actually run at 3.4 GHz because of Turbo.

Changing the VRM monitoring from T.Probe to Extreme (from Thermal stability to Current Stability) and it works perfectly fine. The setting might have kicked back to default while I was playing with it.

I'm also glad I was able to sort it out. I went to sleep too late last night and I am tired this morning. I hate going to sleep knowing I will have to work AGAIN on that the day after so I solve the problem right now and I'll sleep later XD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys it's me again, I see some people with the exact same setup as me (ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z + 2600K) able to push it to 5Ghz at 1.500VCore but my setup is not even able to stabilize at that clocking as I will get an error saying an instruction could not be something. I'm pretty sure someone will know that error. I usually get that error after 10-15 minutes of Prime95 with the CPU temp not going over 58 degrees on full load with small FFTs. I recently changed my cooler to a Corsair H100 with 4 x Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM edition from à Thermaltake Frio equipped with 2 of the same scythe fans. Cooling potential is there but I really can't get it stable. Actually my Motherboard is gone for RMA as a capacitor just fell off from it's soldering pins on the motherboard. I'll keep this thread update when I get my Mobo back.

Ero, there is a huge difference between hitting 5.0Ghz with a 2600K for benchmarking and what you actually want to set it at for stable 24/7 operation. I'd never run my 2700K at 1.50v for 24/7 (and in fact won't even run it there for benchmarking). But, should you decide that you want to hit 5.0Ghz for benchmarking and bragging rights, there are plenty of specific guides for hitting that frequency or near available out there. Just be advised that it takes a lot of tweaking and butt pucker factor.

I followed those guides and the benchmark would not even last for 15 seconds and shoot a BSOD right away. But the CPU is fully stable at 4.8Ghz at 1.400VCore with temps pretty cold (liek 52-53 degrees full load Prime95 small FFTs).