upgrading from xp to windows 8

Jklein

Ok everybody I just got my first client for my fledging computer repair business and I'm in the process of getting my A+ certification. Basically they are a non profit with 10 computers in a lab that does basic resume help and things of that nature anyway they are in need of upgrading from xp to windows 8 and I was wondering if it would be better to do a clan install or an upgrade version? I have heard pro and con for each and I was just wondering which is better in this situation considering were talking a much older os would a full install after wiping the hard drive be better? Or should I get them the upgrade version and save myself the headache oh having to wipe the hard drive?

First things first, are their pc's even capable of running w8, xp was a while ago and did not take much horsepower to run.Secondly I'm not sure you can upgrade from xp to w8 so a clean install might be your only option, But first find the minimum specs for w8 .

First things first, are their pc's even capable of running w8, xp was a while ago and did not take much horsepower to run.Secondly I'm not sure you can upgrade from xp to w8 so a clean install might be your only option, But first find the minimum specs for w8 .

+1

What I was planning on doing is running the upgrade advisor and seeing if the hardware will support if it is something minor like a video card then what I would probably do is eithr suggest they go with a cheap version of a card that supports windows eight or I might suggest that they upgrade to one of the richanland processors from AMD this way they can solve the problem of being the outdated hardware and get a minor upgrade in the process.

Memory might be an issue also, xp would run decent on as little as 512 mb  but w8 should have at least 2 gb. Also would be good if you check to make sure you can get all the w8 drivers before you do the install sometimes network drivers ban be a pain to find for a newer os.

I'm running the upgrade advisor bottom line it is a minimum of 2gb and 1ghz processor monitor capable of at least 1020x768 resolution. Also you can do a upgrade according to Microsoft

Sounds like a headache to me. First thing when starting/running a pc repair business is knowing when to suggest all new pc's. Just about any pc running Xp at this point is not worth the cost of 8, and definitely not if you have to throw in new video cards as well. If the video cards aren't good enough, chances are neither is the amount of memory.

They could probably get new pc's for a couple of hundred bucks with 8, newer hardware and have a nice little tax write off to boot.

I would take upgrade advisor with a very large pinch of salt, even if it says the hardware is compatable dose not mean you will be able to find drivers to make it work. Remember that ms main goal is to get you to buy w8, once you do they could care less how well it runs.

Sounds like a headache to me. First thing when starting/running a pc repair business is knowing when to suggest all new pc's. Just about any pc running Xp at this point is not worth the cost of 8, and definitely not if you have to throw in new video cards as well. If the video cards aren't good enough, chances are neither is the amount of memory.

They could probably get new pc's for a couple of hundred bucks with 8, newer hardware and have a nice little tax write off to boot.

I would take upgrade advisor with a very large pinch of salt, even if it says the hardware is compatable dose not mean you will be able to find drivers to make it work. Remember that ms main goal is to get you to buy w8, once you do they could care less how well it runs.

+1 , i know you're wanting to make it happen for your customer, but like these guys are saying, sometimes the hard answer is the right one...you might not get the job, but you'll be respected for being honest...

+1 , i know you're wanting to make it happen for your customer, but like these guys are saying, sometimes the hard answer is the right one...you might not get the job, but you'll be respected for being honest...

Yes I know but the reason I was saying that hardware might be cheaper is thier hard drive do have windows eight drivers on them and since this is a computer lab but it is only used 3 times a week for 9 hours total I was thinking worst case is that we could pull out the motherboard and put in apu like a richland 4 gb memory tats it including thewireless it would be about 3-400 and a new computer is at least 4-5 Considering the hard drive and their disk get so little use I doubt they are going to fail anytime soon so that seemed the way to go look since this a place I have gone to eat food when I had nowhere else to go I'm only making 20 bucks a computer here I'm not trying to rip anybody off or do it cheap or get a job I'm just trying to give some great people a good service at a very discounted price I understand what everybody is saying but I thought this was a good solution now if these computers needed a new hdd and cdrom and power supply true it would be better but with something like only nine hours use a week I figured the hdd would be good for awhile and that I would recommend possibly putting in energy efficient psu next the one in the office since it has more constant use I was going to tell them to replace. 

I totally understand where your coming from but you must realize that you cannot just drop a newer / faster cpu into their older mb's. You would most likely have to replace the cpu,mb, and the memory cards which could get expensive. If their hardware is older w8 WILL NOT run on it.

The first thing you should do is find out what cpu,mb, and ram they have on their machines.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

right especially since it is the motherboard chipset I was not going to find the drivers for since this is just a lab that does job searches and resume little things like that what I was going to do was yank out the motherboard fine the lowest richland with built in graphics and a gigabyte or asus board that was 50 or so dollars and but that solve the video card issue altogether than I was going to get 4gb of ddr3 1600 gskilll and since they had to replace the hard drives about two years or so ago they have win 8 drivers and they are nowhere near dying  so that was going to be how I did it I wasnt suggesting moving a new cpu into a old board the pins wouldnt match up