Bios update crashed my system

So im getting a new CPU for Christmas. :evilgrin:

So i though i would get my system ready for the new hardware. So bios update was required and new system drivers.

So i updated my bios first. Them the problems started.

First i could not read cd/dvds, programs were loading VERY slow or not loading at all. Others were crashing. Then after about 8-10 mins the system would lock up. I played around with this for about 30 mins, going WTF.. I put all setting to stock speeds, still doing the same.

So i downgraded my bios to the ver i had before. Loaded up the system. BING works A1. reads cd/dvd. I even had to burn off a few things for a friend. Did all that worked like a charm. OC working, played a few games. Fine.

So i tried updating the bios a different way which i thought maybe it as a bad update or a bad download from the site. So i downloaded the update on my laptop, put it on the thumb drive. Updated it again. SAME THING, freezing crashing, the whole nine yards. It didnt even want to shut down i had to hold the power button to shut it down. :angry:

SO i was like i didnt update the system drivers yet. Downgraded the bios again. Go download the drivers which happen to be like 800mb. Go do the update, BAMN, BSOD, Asus system filter. reboooooooot. :whistling:

So after some snooping on what asus system filter was i decided to try again. It installed all the drivers ok, but it said there was a failure on one of the drivers. went and looked at the logs, AMD raid express did not update the program. I was just like it was a program. No harm as i can just uninstall it and reinstall the program after i reboot. So rebooted the system.

NOPE.. BSOD trying to load windows, safe mode, system restore, all a no go. Now all that was on the drives is just my OS,games,apps. Nothing major so i was not overly worried about losing any data.

So im like WIPE IT ALL and start over now. So i go back to updating the bios. Already have the drivers for the chipset on a thumb drive so i can easly install windows again. But i was wanting a few things from the drives at first so i just did a second install of windows on the same drive just so i could grab my games folder, as l didnt want to download 50+GB of info. Copy it over to my storage drive. Then i did a total wipe of the system and installed windows normally.

So i have the new bios, new drivers installed now. And the damn thing works fine. So why was it that acking so weird from just doing a bios update, no hardware changed at all.

So the bios update affected the windows!

Perhaps new windows recognize bios or something and if you do bios update while windows is already installed it might give problems. Good hint I learned today.

Also, can you downgrade bios? Wow.. that's nice. I think it wasn't possible in old bios. I only did one bios upgrade in my life and just because PC was failing, I try to avoid modifications of Bios at all unless I have a problem

Well.. glad you sorted it out.

What board and how are you flashing it?

I download right from the Asus site and Extract the rom file straight to the Thumb drive... make 100% sure the PC is in the DEFAULT STOCK settings... boot to the BIOS and on the Tools tab Select EZ Flash... with the Thumb drive plugged in flash the BIOS...

Once it says Successful then power off the System and CLEAR the CMOS....pull the Power cord. Pull the Battery and then move the jumper to Clear RTC Clock.... wait a few minutes and reverse procedure and boot the rig....

if you have the same issue after that I;d run memtest as see if the BIOS flash isnt liking the bios and contact asus... then revert back to the known working BIOS

What board and how are you flashing it?

I download right from the Asus site and Extract the rom file straight to the Thumb drive... make 100% sure the PC is in the DEFAULT STOCK settings... boot to the BIOS and on the Tools tab Select EZ Flash... with the Thumb drive plugged in flash the BIOS...

This is what i did to upgrade and downgrade. The second time around. I have updated the bios 3 times so far in the past on this board. All went seamlessly until this one.

I have the ASUS M5A99X Evo

There's always a chance that Asus has released a flawed BIOS. It happens. Submit a ticket to Asus so they are aware of the problem and hopefully a working BIOS that supports your new cpu will be released before you get it.

Might help us to know what CPU you're currently running and what CPU you're going to run. Would also help to know what BIOS revision you're running that works perfectly and what new BIOS revision isn't working correctly.

In the mean time, I'd leave your "good" bios running and make a backup copy of all your important stuff. Flash the new BIOS and run Memtest - see if the new BIOS has some new memory parameters that are screwing with memory compatibility / stability. If system passes Memtest with new BIOS, install a fresh copy of Windows and see how the system behaves.

So i have the new bios, new drivers installed now. And the damn thing works fine. So why was it that acking so weird from just doing a bios update, no hardware changed at all.

I need to pay closer attention. I digested your entire first post up to the point where you basically tell us everything is working fine now. Accordingly, please disregard my earlier troubleshooting post and just officially label me a dumba&* :)

Sounds like perhaps the RAID BIOS got updated along with the regular BIOS and the RAID driver you were running wasn't compatible for some reason.

Never thought of that one.....Hmmm i might have to look into this

I need to pay closer attention. I digested your entire first post up to the point where you basically tell us everything is working fine now. Accordingly, please disregard my earlier troubleshooting post and just officially label me a dumba&* :)

HAHA But i did do a mem test on the system. I forgot to add that into it but it came back fine. As i thought too that maybe it changed something around with some RAM settings.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like perhaps the RAID BIOS got updated along with the regular BIOS and the RAID driver you were running wasn't compatible for some reason.

THAT is a great answer! Is that board an acpi or an eufi? I remember one of my boards had an issue where disabling the parallel port would change the acpi and windows would refuse to boot. Nothing short on installing windows with it disabled or leaving it on would work.