ASUS HD 6970 Review

bp9801

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do i go about changing afterburner to allow for more overclocking? mine has the limit set at 850 for the core and 1050 for the memory (XFX 5670)

Hi all,

MSI Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 7. Aware of the following:

To enable unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to:

* Set UnofficialOverclockingEULA field to the following text: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

* Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

Yet this has no impact on the slider limit for vram and the card is clearly capable of more than Afterburner is willing to give it. Does anybody know how to unlock or raise the vram slider in Afterburner?

In case it matters, the card in question is a MSI GTX460 768MB, and the vram slider has a max of 2340. Thanks!

(go into the afterburner program folder and edit the .cfg file with that stuff)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/40745-msi-afterburner-how-unlock-vram-slider.html

I just got one of these this week (Tuesday evening) and yeah, the fan is super loud at 100%. Running at stock settings (for now mwahaha) mine never loads at higher that 58C and my house is about 80F this time of year. After seeing your results I can't wait to see what this card can really do!

how do i go about changing afterburner to allow for more overclocking? mine has the limit set at 850 for the core and 1050 for the memory (XFX 5670)

Taco, you can adjust the voltage with the following guide I wrote. zachhaf, it will help you out as well!

Unlock MSI Afterburner Guide

IVI is correct with the needed changes in the Afterburner cfg file, but with AMD cards, there are a few more steps that must be taken. After you change the Afterburner cfg file, and make the needed changes in registry editor "regedit", reboot and everything should work correctly! Just follow the guide exactly and voltage and overclocking will all be unlocked!

Taco, after you do this, I'm sure you will be able to get that ASUS 6970 over 1GHz on the core. I know that both of mine will ;) with one of them hitting 1025MHz core :evilgrin:

• 1 month later...

As an update, I bought the reviewed card from tacohunter and here are the extra voltage overclocks (I can probably go higher than 1.275V's, but I'm okay with 1030MHz Core Clock). Basically, an extra 100mV's for an extra gain of 44MHz in Core Clock.

Single ASUS HD 6970 2GB (reference) Overclock settings (using an EK HD 6970 Full Cover Water block Max GPU Temp = 45C):

Core Voltage | Core Clock | Memory Clock (in MSI Afterburner)

1275 | 1030 | 1502 (Stable Overclock)

1250 | 1020 | 1502 (Stable Overclock)

1225 | 1005 | 1502 (Stable Overclock)

1190 | 986 | 1502 (Stable Overclock)

1175 | 986 | 1502 (Reviewed Overclock, fails in Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL run)

1175 | 890 | 1375 (Stock)

So Cap, when you are sending me some of this money? :whistling:

Nice OC you got on it, are the higher clocks stable as well or just the 1190 | 986 | 1502 one?

So Cap, when you are sending me some of this money? :whistling:

Nice OC you got on it, are the higher clocks stable as well or just the 1190 | 986 | 1502 one?

What money? I spend it on hoarding all these computer parts. :dunno:

All the high overclocks are 100% stable (updated) running both Unigine Heaven v2.1 and Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL.