New Sandy Bridge Extreme Core i7 3960X Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait till a comparison of the 3960x and 3930k is available would be interesting to see what you are actually getting for double your dollar. As well as whether the 3930k will even be worth that bit more over the 2600k.

Can't wait till a comparison of the 3960x and 3930k is available would be interesting to see what you are actually getting for double your dollar. As well as whether the 3930k will even be worth that bit more over the 2600k.

yeah, im looking at getting the 3930k for my new build, and its a 6 core with sb architecture, so i would think it wound get a fair amount more performance

I think I need to go to the bathroom. :wub:

EDIT: Oh and Maingear is offering this CPU in their computers overclocked "up to 5GHz" which seems a bit sketchy to me.

Edited by Locutus

Well good to know my source was accurate, this is actually a very hohum release like the FX. I mean yes there is a boost but not nearly enough to justify the cost even when looking at the 3930, over $600 right now on the Egg and the 2500K still hangs with it at $200. I am sure the quad channel memory is great but you really need to push a load at to get there. Plus where is the quad core version of this chip?

End result from the reviews I have read is that this is a money grab by Intel with it offering no reason to move to it over the current i5 2500K and i7 2600K except bragging rights and even then I think you do not get all that much. I mean how much bragging can you do to say your dropped x2 to x3+ the cost and only got a few percentage points of performance?

CPU releases for this year look like a pure yawn fest.

Well good to know my source was accurate, this is actually a very hohum release like the FX. I mean yes there is a boost but not nearly enough to justify the cost even when looking at the 3930, over $600 right now on the Egg and the 2500K still hangs with it at $200. I am sure the quad channel memory is great but you really need to push a load at to get there. Plus where is the quad core version of this chip?

End result from the reviews I have read is that this is a money grab by Intel with it offering no reason to move to it over the current i5 2500K and i7 2600K except bragging rights and even then I think you do not get all that much. I mean how much bragging can you do to say your dropped x2 to x3+ the cost and only got a few percentage points of performance?

Thanks Ed. I was thinking the same thing about price/performance. My son wants to pay me to build him one. I was thinking a QuadCore version of this thing would Rock the Stars like you. Now Im thinking that IVY on a Z68 or equivalent board might be the way to go price vs performance.

Edit: Add Content

@Ccokeman, Thank You Man. You did a great job testing and putting everything together in a GREAT review. Thank You.

Edited by Kwok

Here is my take

Intel, this is no time to releases a $1000 CPU, not in this economy

But it just gave the knockout punch to BD so +1

AMD you need to step it up, you need more performance

But you still have the best prices and you not dumb enough to sell a $1000 CPU.

This is great because all CPUs should decrease in cost. I can't wait until the 2500K gets cheaper. :woo:

Intel has always released high end chips at a price like this.

From a marketing POV its not fair to compare it to the 2600k but to the 990x. You cant expect them to stay with the 990x for much longer. Where is the progress in that? I mean hell, look at those rendering tests. Thats massive improvement right there!

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_core_i7_3960/7.htm

Personally, i think the x79 platform will be great for people looking at rendering or using multi-threaded apps.

Edited by damian

Hey now, technically Intel released the original Sandy Bridge series. Those were a pretty big increase in power, especially for those of us who hadn't gone to the Nahalem architecture. :thumbsup: