Synology 4-bay Disk Station DS408 Examined

Nemo

Looks like a good review. However, I think you may have made a typo.

From Page 15:

The DS408 seems made to stream video as it turns in its best results, breaking the 50GB/s barrier in the playback tests for the RAID 0 and RAID 5 setups.

I'm guessing you meant MB/s.

I still can't see myself buying an NAS rather than using an old PC and running Linux on it. However, I can definitely see their usefulness for the less technically inclined among us.

That's an expensive piece of hardware. For someone that needs a ton of storage without the headache of setting things up it seems like a good deal though.

Looks like a good review. However, I think you may have made a typo.

From Page 15:

I'm guessing you meant MB/s.

I still can't see myself buying an NAS rather than using an old PC and running Linux on it. However, I can definitely see their usefulness for the less technically inclined among us.

Thanks for reading it carefully enough to catch that :) - fixed.

That's an expensive piece of hardware. For someone that needs a ton of storage without the headache of setting things up it seems like a good deal though.

I certainly felt the same way so I built a NAS server on my own but after evaluating some of the higher end units, I see the real benefit in the ease of use and maintenance especially with the Web UI. The AJAX based interface on the Synology unit was really nice. It was easy to configure, set up email alerts and add users, etc. And everything worked - no hassles. No editing Samba config files etc. You get a ton of extra features as well that might take you a lot of work to piece together on your own rig. Plus these units use a fraction of the power a PC-based unit does. But in the end, the price can be a limiting factor for a home user.