Raspberry Pi

BluePanda

So -- I'm looking for a new hobby/project -- something to do outside work and play...lol.

So I'm thinking a Raspberry Pi -- 

Anyone have one? What did you do with it?

What should I attempt? :lol:

I really wanted one for a long time due to the customization of casing but I've since gotten a RikoMagic MK802-III and called it a day and use it as an HTPC as well... best part is? It's CHEAP...

if you get the hankerin t get the Pi post up the linkage and what case maybe

I've since gotten a RikoMagic MK802-III and called it a day and use it as an HTPC as well... best part is? It's CHEAP...

Tempted to use that as a dedicated xbmc machine, what are your experiences with it?

I've since gotten a RikoMagic MK802-III and called it a day and use it as an HTPC as well... best part is? It's CHEAP...

Tempted to use that as a dedicated xbmc machine, what are your experiences with it?

I love it. I have not tried XMBC on it but thought I saw where it was available... it works well for everything else...I use it as a desktop when i dont need my main rig... it is that good

I have one and XMBC is loaded onto a card and ready to go so I just need to try it when I've time. Apparently I can load an app on my Galaxy Tab and use that as the remote control! My work colleague has one up and running and it works very well apparently.

I have been thinking about picking up a few. I wish the I/O had more besides your basic, wish it had another ethernet port, or at least the ability to add one :)

Then I could do all sorts of cool networking stuff :D

I was thinking about setting one up as a VPN appliance, but dunno how well it would work. I haven't gone to far in depth with them but have read a little bit about them. 

Dont really need it for a media center pc, as I have my Apple TV, which streams everything in my iTunes library and what is on the cloud :)

Edited by greengiant912

I've two of them. One is loaded with XMBC and works as mini HTPC.

Another one is for playing with hardware, I keep changing the OS. Tried Arch Linux, Raspbian wheezy, fedora, RoscOS.

Talking about the things you can do with it, see this: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ManyRaspberryPiProjectsHowCanYouNotLoveATinyComputer.aspx

There are some interesting projects in there.

All the potential of pi will depend on what accessories you buy with it.

And if you don't have sufficient time to mod it, just play with it.

Lastly, if you want to learn ARM, then Raspberry pi isn't a good option. Then you should look at more costlier options like PandaBoard ES, Ordroid-X.

Edited by d6bmg

I have one and XMBC is loaded onto a card and ready to go so I just need to try it when I've time. Apparently I can load an app on my Galaxy Tab and use that as the remote control! My work colleague has one up and running and it works very well apparently.

From what I've heard/read it seems to be slow when navigating the menus but plays videos fine.

I love it. I have not tried XMBC on it but thought I saw where it was available... it works well for everything else...I use it as a desktop when i dont need my main rig... it is that good

Looks good but again XBMC doesn't seem to run too well on it :( 

I dont use xmbc... I myself find no need to.

Beings my media server has shared drives i just use ES File Manager... it has SMB so I can see the network drives and just play the media direct over the network via ES Media Player or the regular media player... I'm just not one to install something if i don't need it.

Even the built in File Manager has SMB for network access... so either way a fast way to watch media from another location