ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Motherboard Reviewed

Bosco

I've also had some issues with CoreTemp in the past, but this Asus Probe II seems to work well, within the AI software.

I suppose the 8350 is using a lot of power and creating a lot of heat. 

I'm hoping to get a FX6350 by the end of this month, and then clock the hell out of it. Seems like I'm going to need a 1/2" thread setup. 

I've strapped a 60mm fan over the main VRM heatsink. This has also cooled down the NB quite a bit, but still remains hot. 

• 1 year later...

Obviously, I'm a total newb here, just trying to piece together a new system...

Why did you go with the 2400Mhz memory?

Can you explain the rating that ASUS gives this mobo?  They say up to 2100(oc). Is that to say, 2100 mem is ok, or its capable of handling 1866 clocked up to 2100?

Would I realize any benefit at all in my system using the same mobo/cpu over 1866c8 memory? (General use)

Thanks,

Sean

Would I realize any benefit at all in my system using the same mobo/cpu over 1866c8 memory? (General use)

First, welcome to OCC! :)

Second, the only thing i can answer for you, if you have 1600MHz or 2100MHz memory, you wouldn't really see a difference in performance in general use or gaming.

Can you explain the rating that ASUS gives this mobo?  They say up to 2100(oc). Is that to say, 2100 mem is ok, or its capable of handling 1866 clocked up to 2100?

I can answer this one at lest. When Asus gave the rating of 2133(OC) or whatever it may be. The OC stands for overclocking the CPU is some form to allow the memory to run at 2133 speeds.

For getting memory to run at 2133 over it native 1866 speed (based on your example) is a different story. most motherboards allow you to change the speed on your memory but they don't overclock easily like a cpu, you generally end up with a headace rather than a preformance boost, not to mention most memory is binned for the speed and can't go higher without some long term damage. Or very loose timmings which negate the benfits of "faster" memory.