Patriot Wildfire 120GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD Reviewed

Nemo

Patriot introduces its first SATA 6Gb/s solid state drives with the Wildfire line equipped with the SandForce 2281 8-channel controller. You can read all about it in the OCC review of the Patriot Wildfire 120GB - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/patriot_wildfire_120gb/

Nice drive, it bit right at the Vertex 3's toes!!, now if only it was half the price :D

It is roughly half the price of the Vertex 3 240GB. But the price is still up for new technology. Considering it would take two earlier drives in Raid 0 to give these numbers is reflected in the price!

It is roughly half the price of the Vertex 3 240GB. But the price is still up for new technology. Considering it would take two earlier drives in Raid 0 to give these numbers is reflected in the price!

Yeah, I know it's price will settle down some. It's certainly a sweet little number, the vertex was beastly! I'd love to have double the space I have now haha

To take advantage of all this speed, you will need to have a motherboard that has SATA 6Gb/s connectivity with the best options currently available being Intel P67, H67, and Z68 boards. You can use a board with a Marvell controller, but wont realize the full potential of the Widfire or any SF-2281 based drive.

I have a GA-X58A-UD7 which has onboard Marvell that supports SATA 6 Gb/s. So I can't help but to ask: Is the SATA revision 3.0 performance on the Marvell terrible? If so, can someone who have tried SF2281 drives on both tell me how it compares?

Edited by nawk