Intel P45 Chipset-based P5q Premium Board Tested

Nemo

excellent Review

bro can you tell me what are differences between P5Q pro version & this Deluxe version ?

Well one thing i know is the P5Q pro has an 8 phase power design while the Deluxe has a 16 phase power design, plus different features.

Edited by damian

Guest ajmatson

Actually this is the Premium version not the Deluxe one reviewed here. There are several variants of the P5Q.

Damian is correct the Pro has an 8 Phase vs the 16 Phase on the Premium and Deluxe boards. A lot of the differences are minor as far as hardware is such as number of ports like USB and LAN, and port placement like the SATA ports, which the Premium has 10 (with 2 sets for drive expert) vs the 8 on the Pro version. Also the ExpressGate on the Pro version is (as far as I know) not SSD based which means you have to install Windows to the drive first then install the ExpressGate program to the harddrive. It will only work if Windows is installed however on the P5Q Premium there is a little flash chip which has the ExpressGate program so you can boot it without even having a hard drive connected or even running another OS such as a Linux Distribution. Lastly the P5Q Premium has 4 PCI Express X16 slots for QuadFire of single-GPU cards like the HD 4850's as well as a lot of security features with the TPM included.

On a final note having the 16 Phase regulation on the higher end boards will allow for higher and more stable overclocks if you like push your hardware like we do ;)

Here is some reference for you:

ASUS P5Q Premium

ASUS P5Q Pro

I'd let other things be the deciding factor between the two boards other then the claimed number of phases. Asus has found a new meaning of the word "true" evidently. Anyone that can gain access to the the datatsheet of the controller will find it's still only 8 phase capable. A slave chip phase shifts the output to the second set of FETs. Slightly cleaner power output with a resultant increase in stability may be a side effect of this but hasn't been proven one way or the other.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am a bit lost regarding the additionnal Silicon Image SATA controller and the ASUS Drive Xpert feature: is it possible to attach 10 independant SATA drives to this motherboard or is it limited to 6 independant drives on the Intel controller and 2x2 RAID0/1 SATA drives on the Silicon Image controller?

I am a user of Windows Home Server PP1 based on a MSI motherboard (4 SATA ports) + 2 Promise SATA controllers (2x4 SATA ports) but have a lot of issues with these latters (time out at driver level). So I am searching for the best replacement solution while maximizing the number of SATA ports...

Thanks for your help and happy new year...

FDT