How to: Revitalise an old gaming rig

Daragh

Space isn't an issue for me the space its going in fits a Raven RV01 with a lot of room to spare (I've measured). As for going with the HAF 932, its the exact same price as the aerocool, which has the same airflow capability, actually more as it can support 4 120mm fans on the side or 1 200mm; the HAF supports only 1 200mm. Obviously I haven't owned either so what advantages does the HAF posses over other cases in that pricepoint? Sadly the switch is way out of my price range. When I'm choosing a case here is a brief overview of what would be expected.

Is toolfree, I don't mind purchasing toolfree thumbscrews for the sidepanels but the insides must be fairly toolfree.

Good airflow with a decent support for fans and some way to get a WC kit in.

Not over $169, That is me stretching as far as I can go already.

I'm not expecting something >$100 to be able to offer these features but I do expect a limited implementation.

Have you add up the amount needed to populate the fan slots on the X Predator? The HAF 932 comes with all fans fitted

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To populate all of the fan slots I would need 3 fans extra, 6 if I went with 4x120/140mm fans for the side rather than 1 200mm. It comes with 2 200mm fans which isn't great. I do have 1 140mm though. so I could get a basic front to back airflow happening without spending extra, also the X-Predator is $10 less. To be honest the X-Predator is kind of a if I have to kind of thing, I would much prefer to spend a bit less, yes I have $169 to spend on a case but it doesn't mean I want to spend that much, chances are that if I spent $120 on a case then I wouldn't be far off affording a motherboard. I found a case for around $100 that has all fans populated

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=19679

It's a sharkoon though, I haven't heard much about the brand. What I like is the cable holes in the motherboard mounting that aren't in most cases at that pricepoint. I'm worried about quality though, has anybody got any info on this? It looks like it would do (even has water cooling holes) but I'm not sure I'll look for a few reviews. At each price these are my choices

X denotes preferred case

$100

Sharkoon Tauron x

NZXT Tempest 410 Elite x

Bitfenix Raider

Aerocool V-XE Pro

$109-$129

Bitfenix Survivor

Cooler Master HAF 922 With window x

Thermaltake Level 10 GT

Thermaltake V9 BlacX edition x

NZXT Phantom 410 x

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer x

$130-169

Enermax Spinerex x

Silverstone Raven RV-03

Corsair Carbide 500R

Aerocool X-Predator x

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Cooler Master HAF 932 x

Fractal design Define R3

Edited by Daragh

In case I cannot afford the HAF 932 should I go with the 922, V9 BlacX or the Storm enforcer? The sub $100 range has already been picked. I'm just looking at one from each and then going with the best I can afford come ordering time.

Thank you guys so much for your help! I have all the components picked. Now its just ordering them. Thank you especially vandreadstriker, Waco and, Stonerboy for your help.

Now I'll have a decent PC to destroy people in Battlefield with :P