Gun control

Coors

I don't agree with the notion we have the right to defend ourselves against our government because gone are the days when the people actually stood a chance.   Anytime the government decides we are unruly we will find we're just an ant beneath a boot.

Some things to take into consideration.

We know out terrain better than they do and probably wouldn't operate in an orderly fashion like they would, guerrilla style.

Another consideration is that the people in the military wouldn't all listen to their orders, they're citizens of this country too.

I don't agree with the notion we have the right to defend ourselves against our government because gone are the days when the people actually stood a chance.   Anytime the government decides we are unruly we will find we're just an ant beneath a boot.

Some things to take into consideration.

We know out terrain better than they do and probably wouldn't operate in an orderly fashion like they would, guerrilla style.

Another consideration is that the people in the military wouldn't all listen to their orders, they're citizens of this country too.

Soldiers are broken down and trained back up to follow orders.   There would be some that wouldn't follow orders definitely.  But it wouldn't be enough and the ones that would stay would have access to the big toys (tanks, planes, etc.) and that is more than enough.  Besides there would be more cowards in the citizen rank than in the military rank.  Like I said, I fear for the safety of and me family more from Joe Blow trying to steal water and food from me more so than I think Joe Blow would grow a pair and stand up to a tank.   Hell look at the disaster areas, people were too worried jacking each other for TVs!  You may be worried about forming a solid rebellion and you're fighting not only the government but people wanting to take you out simply for a TV.   If we got attacked by another country or by aliens or some crap I think a lot of ex-military would rise up and re-join to fight but that would be because the government is back them up.  The number that would actually rise to fight our own government would be insubstantial.  In this self-preservation society I'm not sure there would be any leadership, discipline, or a plan ...let alone a well followed plan.  If we were in a position to take down our government we would have been invaded already.

If we rose up, I don't doubt our government would air strike us into submission.   We are good to them as long as we pay taxes because we are useful.  If we aren't doing that, why would they waste their time on us?   You got two ways of handling it as a leader.  Either you admit you were wrong, lament your mistakes and let someone take your place.  Or you squash those wishing to cause harm to your country.   Longer they toy with us, more open we are to attack from some other country.  Granted they would probably start with Martial Law and squash targeted problem areas, but that strategy assumes you got the problem contained into small areas.

I dunno, I think Hollywood over glorifies how easy it would be for a rebellion to take place in a well developed civilization with advanced toys.

I don't agree with the notion we have the right to defend ourselves against our government because gone are the days when the people actually stood a chance.

So because you think we stand a chance we shouldn't be given the option? Maybe it just means we should be able to have the same weapons as the military. But that's pretty much never going to happen. But as it's already been pointed out, I doubt a lot of the military and police forces would turn on citizens.

So because you think we stand a chance we shouldn't be given the option? Maybe it just means we should be able to have the same weapons as the military. But that's pretty much never going to happen. But as it's already been pointed out, I doubt a lot of the military and police forces would turn on citizens.

No, it is not the only reason I don't think civilians should be given access to military grade weapons.  Though the only reason people can come up for having access to military grade weapons is to possibly over throw the government.   If that's the best reason people can come up than you're right... it's never going to happen.   

Only people in a first world country are brave enough to say they want a government that fears them.  In other countries, bad things tend to happen to the population when the government fears an uprising.

Make no mistake, people in the military are trained to follow orders.  If an order was given to airstrike a major U.S. city to quell a rebellion, many people would press that button if the order was given.  The government would have to do something truly unspeakable for military members and police to side with the public.   Otherwise the majority would follow orders to restore balance.  If they took away our right to bear arms, which I'm against btw, and the American people rose up in rebellion very few military/police would defect to the rebellion even if all of them were against the ban.

You have to remember many in the military (and police) are family men/women so they aren't going to willy nilly put their families' lives in danger unless truly forced to.   Not to mention, there are very few things that are worse than being a traitor.  If you aren't a team player in the military you will be an outcast and that usually brings pain.  Not to mention, the Government has more swaying power.  They could easily turn the people against each other simply by offering something to those who choose not to rebell.  So now you have people who are thinking, "I disagree with the government but I can keep my family safe and feed them ...or I can go toe-2-toe with that M1 Abrams up the street." :unsure:

If an order was given to airstrike a major U.S. city to quell a rebellion, many people would press that button if the order was given.

If they took away our right to bear arms, which I'm against btw, and the American people rose up in rebellion very few military/police would defect to the rebellion even if all of them were against the ban.

We wont know until it happens, but I think there would be a lot more than you think.

Make no mistake, people in the military are trained to follow orders.  If an order was given to airstrike a major U.S. city to quell a rebellion, many people would press that button if the order was given.  The government would have to do something truly unspeakable for military members and police to side with the public.   Otherwise the majority would follow orders to restore balance.  If they took away our right to bear arms, which I'm against btw, and the American people rose up in rebellion very few military/police would defect to the rebellion even if all of them were against the ban.

I tend to think of it the other way around. The citizens would have to do something unspeakable for the military and police to side with the government.

Just look at our ever increasing police state and pseudo-military police force. Do you seriously think a hobo  with a shotgun has a chance against that? You've got to be out of your mind if you think that. Don't think either that the police or military will protect your rights. Those people are employed by the government, part of the machine.

Just look at our ever increasing police state and pseudo-military police force. Do you seriously think a hobo  with a shotgun has a chance against that? You've got to be out of your mind if you think that. Don't think either that the police or military will protect your rights. Those people are employed by the government, part of the machine.

Depends on what right you're talking about and what town. I think smaller towns will have cops that will be like "screw this I'm not trying to take guns away, I want to keep my own". I'm sure in bigger cities it will be worse.

Came up with the perfect idea. 

Take away all the guns and give people swords and clubs. It is way to easy to mow down a bunch of people with a sub machine gun, but it is really hard to get away with killing more than 5 people without getting caught, and the victims have a better chance of surviving. 

Crimes will be much harder to commit. People aren't afraid of a mad man with a sword/club so long as they don't get within 5 feet of the guy. 

Liberals get their gun control, conservatives get their right to protect themselves, and I get my wish of turning america into feudal japan. Everybody wins. 

.....jk. Except for the feudal japan thing. I think that would actually make things fun.