Computer overheating ?

Emilio888

Hi All, i have a old laptop : toshiba tecra s2. The thing does not want to boot up. When i press the power button, i hear the fan going at max speed, nothing on the screen appears if i dont press f1 a couple of times... Then the toshiba logo appears with the option to get to the bios menu and then the computer shuts down...

I have disassembled the thing and followed the instructions of the service manual and even checked 3/4 of all the fuses with a volt meter to see if the motherbord was fried. They all seemed OK. I forgot to mention that at that time, the computer would not even start at all ( no fan noise). So I finally reassembled it without the hard drive and it boots up with a fan sound.. A little bit better... But it shuts down as explained above.

Now, I have read a couple of posts about thermal paste on this site and thought that maybe the cpu is overheating because the thermal paste is dried up. Could an old cracked thermal paste cause this kind of problem?

Possible, or maybe the heat sink came loose, hard to say. Have you tried pulling the battery pack then booting it up with just the power cord plugged in?

Maybe someone with more experience with laptops will chime in.. I generaly deal with desktops :)

There can be several reasons. It may be due to thermal paste, or may not be.

You can always test that possibility by changing the thermal paste on the laptop processor & heatsink.

I assume you have already cleaned out any dust in the unit with a can of compressed air, but if you haven't, that would be my suggestion. Many overheating problems I have encountered have been due to a dust build-up inside the unit.