Headset recommendations !

Justhavocman

After putting up with my kraken pro for more than 2 months i finally can't take it anymore! mad.gif I just want to sell this piece of trash and get a decent headset! Any recommendations for ~ 60

I recommend getting a good headphone and mic separately. You can always find better quality for both than a headset in the same price range.

That being said, the Plantronics GameCom 780 has pretty impressive audio quality for the price, and doesn't even need to be paired with a dedicated sound card! It has a decent mic (not good or bad, but decent). It may not be comfortable for some people (those with larger heads), but it was comfortable for me (average sized head).

I was doing my own review (2 headphones and 2 headsets) a long time ago on my blog. I never got to finishing it.

http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/11/4-headsets-comparison-review-part-1-of.html

Still, I was impressed with the audio quality for the price range on a headset.

Edited by El_Capitan

I recommend getting a good headphone and mic separately. You can always find better quality for both than a headset in the same price range.

That being said, the Plantronics GameCom 780 has pretty impressive audio quality for the price, and doesn't even need to be paired with a dedicated sound card! It has a decent mic (not good or bad, but decent). It may not be comfortable for some people (those with larger heads), but it was comfortable for me (average sized head).

I was doing my own review (2 headphones and 2 headsets) a long time ago on my blog. I never got to finishing it.

http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/11/4-headsets-comparison-review-part-1-of.html

Still, I was impressed with the audio quality for the price range on a headset.

If you can find the original CAL! within your price range I'd recommend them.

About the lowest I'd go is the Superlux HD681 Evo

Thank you both for your recommendations , i'd rather stay off the headphones+mic combo simply because i only use my headset for gaming + skype and sometimes listening to music so i don't need anything with extraordinary sound quality , just decent ^_^ Also having a mic\volume switch would help a lot ! The kraken pro lacked both and is a really overpriced piece of equipment! The plantronics 780 looks really appealing although i don't know if i'll find it comfortable , i  have a rather large head :D I've also read good ratings about the Steelseries headsets. 

The SteelSeries V2 and Creative Aurvana Live! are the most I've ever spent on headphones.  I bought both models when they were newly released and paid over a $100 for each.  I was happy with both.  The V2 are very comfortable, but the mic quit working right after the warranty was up.  I keep them as my backup.

The CAL! are the best cans I've personally used.  They sound pretty good and they are comfortable on my big head.

I've also read good ratings about the Steelseries headsets. 

Just one word or warning about the Steelseries Siberia V2 headset. The headset itself has a rather short cable (I think it's 3 feet). However, it comes with a really long extension (maybe 12 feet, I can't remember, but it's really long). The extension also has a switch to turn off/on the mic, and a volume scroll. However, if you use the extension, you'll hear a good amount of static noise, which can be really annoying. I can't remember if it was for just the audio, or if it was just when the mic was plugged in. I can double check for you if you want.

The static was induced by the potentiometer used to control the headset volume.  The set I have didn't have that problem when I used the extension, however I've read of other customer complaints of same.

Mic crackle and static in the VOIP are caused by damage to the mic wires inside the head phone can (where the mic retracts). 

Frankly the SS headsets are pretty decent quality across their product lines.  We are the factory authorized NA refurbishment center for SS computer peripherals, so I get a lot of experience with all their keyboads, mice and headsets.

I just want to emphasize that the retractable mic on the SS headsets will eventually give out.  It's not a matter of IF, only a matter of WHEN.  The design concept is ingenious, however the execution and quality are not.

Just be advised that in a year or more (and likely soon after the warranty is up) that the mic will probably quit working.  You won't be disappointed with the audio quality though.

Also, the Siberia V2 and the 5HV2 have 50mm drivers, while the 4H has 40mm drivers.

The last plantronics headseat I bought only lasted 6 months before the left side completely cut out.

I've been using this one for quite some time now and I love it, the cord is a tad long but it comes with its own velcro cable tie. I know it says for Xbox360 but it works perfect for the pc. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-x12/56

Edited by slick2500