Bye Bye Creative

x keo21

@ Cryosis, I agree but then also don't agree at the same time. I agree that the legal base for Creative is totally correct, they are right in their arguing. There is however NO question of what would benefit the company as a whole! Lets face the two options Creative had (simplified):

1.) Threaten legal action and have a million pissed off customers or potential customers, loose on sales

2.) Work with the dude, get the drivers working, make lots of money from happy customers

Which option would you take? Alright, they might have done it on purpose (crippling the cards in Vista to force people to upgrade), but in a situation like this, I would definitely NOT publicly ban this dude from developing working Vista drivers!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is that Creative wouldn't really profit from letting him make fully functional vista drivers. After all, their obsolescence stragety focuses on getting customers to buy new hardware or to purchase their software to make their cards work under vista. His drivers eliminate the need to buy new hardware or to purchase Creatives Alchemy program.

I dunno about you but I wouldn't go out and buy a new sound card if a simple driver hack could take care of all of my problems and I'm sure that a lot of people feel that way, too.

@ Cryosis, I agree but then also don't agree at the same time. I agree that the legal base for Creative is totally correct, they are right in their arguing. There is however NO question of what would benefit the company as a whole! Lets face the two options Creative had (simplified):

1.) Threaten legal action and have a million pissed off customers or potential customers, loose on sales

2.) Work with the dude, get the drivers working, make lots of money from happy customers

Which option would you take? Alright, they might have done it on purpose (crippling the cards in Vista to force people to upgrade), but in a situation like this, I would definitely NOT publicly ban this dude from developing working Vista drivers!

It wouldn't make any sense to cripple the drivers for the X-FI, its been their top card for years, and has zero upgrade path, so that theory should be thrown out as far as I'm concerned.

As for your two options, who knows what reasons they had initially, I assume they didn't think everyone would act like Creative gave them cancer.

There's talk of an X-FI2 card(driver test packages were leaked a year or so back, too) on their forums and people have speculated that it is the reason for the crippling of the X-FI card in vista. There's even an article about it here.

There's talk of an X-FI2 card(driver test packages were leaked a year or so back, too) on their forums and people have speculated that it is the reason for the crippling of the X-FI card in vista. There's even an article about it here.
Yeah, I heard about the possible X-FI 2, but I find it hard to believe they would cripple it from day 1, I don't see how they could possibly benefit from that.

Of course that article got it wrong as well. :rolleyes: Creative isn't talking about the X-FI's features being purposely withheld from Vista, they are talking about how he was enabling X-FI features on lower end cards. Bah, this is exactly the crap I'm talking about.

Edited by Cyrosis

Auzentech ;)

But that still leaves us with no real good gaming solutions.

I'm also more of an HT-Omega man myself. :P

Edit:

I wasn't regarding any of that post to you, just remarking that the article in question is another example of how the internet takes these stories, and twists them about until the business in question looks like Tonya Harding.

:lol:

Ah, I see where you're coming from. My bad for doing what I accused you of doing...

Edited by iKillSteal

Why I hate creative:

Back in 2003 (I think) I built a computer with a VIA mainboard. The onboard should would NOT work for any games. Since Creative was the only company you could by in Stores around where I live I got a SoundBlaster Live 5.1. It worked, mind you the programs that came with it look like the old ones from windows 95 (Which I also had a Creative Card for).

Now to the end of 2007/ start of 2008. I built my new computer, and the onboard sound on the 680i LT worked just fine. But I installed Avid Media Composer which would not start with the onboard sound. So I open the case of my computer from 2003 and take out the sound card. I put it in, and it didn't seem to work with a bunch of new games, the interface didn't look good, and it didn't let me have as much control as the onboard one let me have. I though to my self that there MUST be a drive update.

I search high and low for a drive, and it's the exact same version.

After about a week I got feed up with the card went to TigerDirect and bought a nice Turtle Beach card which I like because it supports 7.1 AND has optical in AND out.