The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

bp9801

Well of course. If you are LOTR/Tolkien fan you have to go. I won't be going opening weekend. Probably following week.

The only thing that concerns me is length. This movie is 2hr 50min and it is a trilogy.

Soooo, your point is? I watch the extended cut lotr films. 2 hours and 50 mins is childs play. :teehee:

Unfortunately i won't be able to go opening weekend otherwise me and my buds would be there at midnight, or whenever it opens.:cry:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, your point is? I watch the extended cut lotr films. 2 hours and 50 mins is childs play. :teehee:

Unfortunately i won't be able to go opening weekend otherwise me and my buds would be there at midnight, or whenever it opens.:cry:

The point is the book wasn't very long. I don't care about length but I hope they didn't add crap or embellish much.

The point is the book wasn't very long. I don't care about length but I hope they didn't add crap or embellish much.

Yeah. this is why I think they should have covered it in two films MAXIMUM! Three films is just a cash grab and they could cover everything in adequate detail with just two movies...

Well regardless of the frame rate I was immediately turned off by the visual presentation and I haven't been able to quite put into words why. Maybe its the special effects, maybe its costumes, maybe my mind doesn't see the actors chosen for the role to actually fit the roles I had envisioned. :dunno:

Regardless, The Hobbit has been the #1 movie I've been looking forward to most this year. I loved the book and the promise of Peter Jackson being able to give this universe the respect it deserves makes it a better sell than the special effects ever will. I do love special effects but give me a solid movie and I will be just as happy.

I am a bit worried about 3 movies, but Tolkien really did rush the book. It has a LOT of material, a lot more than the length of the book suggests. As a movie director it should be like a gold mine as it leaves a lot of room for interpretation. The only negative is that there are a lot purists out there that may not want to see any creativity when it comes to the interpretation of the book.

Well regardless of the frame rate I was immediately turned off by the visual presentation and I haven't been able to quite put into words why. Maybe its the special effects, maybe its costumes, maybe my mind doesn't see the actors chosen for the role to actually fit the roles I had envisioned. :dunno:

You've seen it? How s that possible?

If you've been following this much you'll know that theres A LOT off stuff they're pulling the story from.

Theres a lot that they merely mention in the book or imply that they plan on showing.

The Hobbit itself wasn't nearly as big as the LOTR trilogy, but if I recall correctly, there was a very expansive appendix for that book. There were many things that were just merely touched upon in the book that they may be expanding upon using Tolkien's other works.

I thought it was 2 movies...:blink:

The films are, by subtitle, An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again, due for theatrical release in 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively.

(Stolen from Wikipedia because I'm lazy - there was a link to the announcement early on in this thread)

You've seen it? How s that possible?

Where you been? There is a trailer, thanks to BP, in the very first post. Also many of the films that have been coming out show a trailer. A trailer is more than enough to see the special effects direction and other things. For example, I'm not a fan of how they dressed up the dwarves in the movie. Whatever though, as long as the movie is good I can forgive that stuff.

Theres a lot that they merely mention in the book or imply that they plan on showing.

The Hobbit itself wasn't nearly as big as the LOTR trilogy, but if I recall correctly, there was a very expansive appendix for that book. There were many things that were just merely touched upon in the book that they may be expanding upon using Tolkien's other works.

Exactly. The Hobbit references so much and never goes into detail - for example, Gandalf is sent to investigate "The Necromancer".