HELP! Need router that DOESN'T require port forwarding

Hexalude

The DGL-4500 router is a pretty nifty router (and in fact use one myself). However, I can only echo what most everyone else has said; online gaming as a client shouldn't require any special router configuration.... ever. If your PC is acting as a server though, you WILL have to open/forward ports on the router to allow unobstructed communication on the port(s) required for that particular game. Likewise, if you're running a firewall on your PC you'll need to create firewall rules (exceptions) that allow for unobstructed communication on those ports as well.

Enabling DMZ completely defeats one of the purposes of running a NAT router in the first place. Sure, wireless connectivity is important, port multiplication is important etc., but why would you want to cripple the built in protection of a router based firewall?

I've yet to encounter a router that doesn't allow all the traffic that a PC needs when the router is properly configured. That applies to game serving, FTP, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Media etc. You just need to properly configure the router and software firewall if you're running one.

IMHO enabling DMZ is the nuclear option and I don't normally recommend it.

Enabling DMZ completely defeats one of the purposes of running a NAT router in the first place. Sure, wireless connectivity is important, port multiplication is important etc., but why would you want to cripple the built in protection of a router based firewall?

I've yet to encounter a router that doesn't allow all the traffic that a PC needs when the router is properly configured. That applies to game serving, FTP, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Media etc. You just need to properly configure the router and software firewall if you're running one.

IMHO enabling DMZ is the nuclear option and I don't normally recommend it.

I use DMZ all the time, however it normally is in different scenarios than this one lol. I agree with you on this and at the same time I disagree. When working with enterprise level equipment I almost never use DMZ because usually in that environment there will be a dedicated edge firewall. On the other hand when working with SOHO/SMB equipment I use DMZ quite often.

Regardless I agree with what everyone else has said you should only need port forwarding/DMZ/Whatever if you are hosting not when you are playing on a server hosted by someone else. Now I have seen where some applications require bi-directional openings in the firewall, however I doubt that would be the case with a game playing scenario.

• 2 years later...

Like the name of the thread suggestions I am looking for a decent router that does not require port forwarding to play certain games.

The one I have now (Technicolor TG587n v3) is a complete heap and has given me nothing but trouble playing certain games on PC. None of the guides, video tutorials or port forwarding programs I have tried(and there have been A LOT) have helped even in the slightest.

I have poured over a week into trying to fix this issue and I am now convinced it is my POS router which I luckily got for free.

So, my questions is. Are there any routers out there designed specifically around gaming and ADSL that DON'T need the time wasting and resource burning port forwarding?

Thanks

Hexalude

Hey man i feel your pain i have the same telstra modem it's shit hard to port forward hard to open Nat it's shit getting a d.link dgl-5500 gaming router it will be so much easier to have Nat open and give u better connection to servers eg destiny lol should get your self one :)

Edited by damo123