Want to start a new build - Go with X79 or Z75/77?

Because I'm horribly impatient, haha! :whistling:

But yeah, I think I'll be waiting it out. Might get more selection on the 680s as well.

One more month!

April 29 is the current release date. The one problem with waiting till then is how much longer till they have a new motherboard chipset for Ivy. So you wait till Ivy releases and while you are looking at Z77 boards then rumor mill starts with the next boards (such as P67 >>> Z68) down the road that offer XYZ. The panther point chipset rumors started around this time last year.

What you can expect from Panther Point:

•  
  • Native USB 3.0 support
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • 10 USB 2.0 ports
  • 2 SATA III ports
  • 4 SATA II ports
  • IRST support
  • Wireless display/music ports
  • Support for 3 displays without a dedicated video card (HDMI 1.4a, DVI, DP, eDP and VGA)
  • 16 PCIe lanes
  • Z7x chipsets have the option to use two devices at x8
  • Z77 boards have the option of using one device at x8 and two more devices at x4 speeds
  • RAID 0/1/5/10 support
  • Memory = dual channel

Edited by Fogel

The one important thing missing is, no native support for legacy PCI, unless any manufacture use PCI-E x1 to PCI converter.

Who needs it? I am sure some manufacturers will have it. Just cause the Chipset does not list it does not mean it cannot be put on the board.

Edited by Drdeath

One more month!

April 29 is the current release date. The one problem with waiting till then is how much longer till they have a new motherboard chipset for Ivy. So you wait till Ivy releases and while you are looking at Z77 boards then rumor mill starts with the next boards (such as P67 >>> Z68) down the road that offer XYZ. The panther point chipset rumors started around this time last year.

What you can expect from Panther Point:

•  
  • Native USB 3.0 support
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • 10 USB 2.0 ports
  • 2 SATA III ports
  • 4 SATA II ports
  • IRST support
  • Wireless display/music ports
  • Support for 3 displays without a dedicated video card (HDMI 1.4a, DVI, DP, eDP and VGA)
  • 16 PCIe lanes
  • Z7x chipsets have the option to use two devices at x8
  • Z77 boards have the option of using one device at x8 and two more devices at x4 speeds
  • RAID 0/1/5/10 support
  • Memory = dual channel

Hey April 29th is my birthday, maybe Intel does birthday gifting :teehee:

Just from personal experience, I didn't wait and I don't regret it. Doubt that I will. Guess we will see when retail boards start showing up in real user's hands. I imagine (like every other new chipset release) there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out in either board revisions or BIOS updates. So if you want a fairly well debugged platform right now I'd be leaning towards Z68. Improvements from Z75 or Z77 will be incremental at best for most normal day to day users.

As already pointed out earlier, there are a number of Z68 PCIe 3.0 boards available to purchase right now.