when a cpu cooler is reviewd what benchmarks do they use ?

frio77

I just recently did my first build these are the components ( cpu ) i7 4770k ( motherboard ) asus z87 rog hero ( graphics cards ) x2 gtx 780 sc acx in sli ( cpu cooler ) thermaltake nic c5 ( ram ) crucial ballistix 1600 ddr3 16gb 4x4 ( ssd ) ocz vertex 450 512gb ( ssd 2 ) crucial m4 256gb ( power supply ) cooler master v1000 ( case ) thermaltake overseer rx-1 . I have been reading the reviews on my thermaltake nic c5 cpu cooler on tweaktown and vortez reviews . I want to know what load do they do there benchmarks on  in tweaktown.com it just says stock load and overclocked load and on vortez reviews it says delta stock temps and delta overclock temps what benchmarks are they using and what load are they testing it on ?

Most website use a "test rig" usually listed somewhere, often in open air. Temperature may be listed as from software or hardware.

"delta" usually means the difference in temperature. IE the temperature rise experienced.

Reviews are largely comparative, which is frustrating when you want to compare something you have that is not listed to something that is..  or performance in a specific case configuration.

I wish all web sites would include the CM Hyper 212 EVO as this is a generally used cooler. Ah well.

Most website use a "test rig" usually listed somewhere, often in open air. Temperature may be listed as from software or hardware.

"delta" usually means the difference in temperature. IE the temperature rise experienced.

Reviews are largely comparative, which is frustrating when you want to compare something you have that is not listed to something that is..  or performance in a specific case configuration.

I wish all web sites would include the CM Hyper 212 EVO as this is a generally used cooler. Ah well.

Generally used by who? I bet if you polled people here, you wouldn't even get 10%. Yeah, I'm sure your request has no bias.

We at OCC do not do open-air tests, which we say so right on the review setup pages:

Most systems are built and mounted into a sealed (relatively) chassis, so this method will be used to generate the load and idle results to give a real world view as to what kind of cooling performance one can expect, based on the test system listed below.

Yes, of course results vary based on your own configurations, not to mention ambient temperature, but that doesn't really matter when comparing one single product rather than a whole build as long as the tester uses the same other components for each test, which is what we do. As you can see in the link Frank provided, he tested twelve different coolers on his test platform, so the results between them can be compared even if your actual system differs.

The original question as I see it involved other web sites and general procedures, by someone doing their first build.

I have go to web sites for cooler reviews, but a lot of those out there are as described, unless there have been changes I am not aware of.

I apologize if this was inappropriate.

The simple solution is to only come to OCC for your reviews comparisons!  Our testing page lists the program used to create the load, the monitoring program and the test system used. We give the actual highest load temp for each core averaged across all four cores over time.  

The last cooler review I did had the Hyper 212 Evo in it http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/noctua_nhu12s/4.htm

The answers to your questions are right there in the review on our site. I cannot say why others do it differently but it is what makes us unique. 

I have never agreed with open air testing, hence why we don't do it. I think its completely pointless, not to mention its not real world numbers, so we always test inside a chassis.