The Hive

Muchoman1

So which relative are you selling? To fund that piece of glass?

actually it was one of my windows, i had to get a doggie door installed and i have no wooden external doors, but i do have a floor to ceiling window in the laundry, which is where the dogs sleep

so instead of cutting the sheet of glass i have, they said they make a whole new panel precut, as its easier. so i now have the glass. its tempered saftey glass thats made up of 100s of layers of ultra thin glass and laminate, so this stuff is insanely strong

its got the tinting on it for privacy, and its reflective when viewed from particular angles, but light behind it comes out fine, also it will filter out all the uv from my cathodes, so you can only see the glowing wires and tubes =D

actually it was one of my windows, i had to get a doggie door installed and i have no wooden external doors, but i do have a floor to ceiling window in the laundry, which is where the dogs sleep

so instead of cutting the sheet of glass i have, they said they make a whole new panel precut, as its easier. so i now have the glass. its tempered saftey glass thats made up of 100s of layers of ultra thin glass and laminate, so this stuff is insanely strong

its got the tinting on it for privacy, and its reflective when viewed from particular angles, but light behind it comes out fine, also it will filter out all the uv from my cathodes, so you can only see the glowing wires and tubes =D

Very nice. I wish I had a sheet like that. That should look insane on the desk.

was planning on doing more work on the desk today, but it seems playing skyrim till 1-3 am each day for the past 2 weeks has finally caught up with me, as a slept in till 2 in the afternoon. alas, time to play skyrim till 3 am tonight though =D

going out most of tomorrow, but will hopefully work on desk friday

sorry for not many updates, but skyrim somehow steals hours out of the day

alright, so im painting a main panel for the desk now, its the center panel that sits under the glass, which the resivoirs will sit above

so im using Wurth primers, black lacquer and clear laquer for this paintjob. this stuff is great, its ready for the next coat within an hour, which is good for me cause im using alot of coats to get a really deep colour

2011-11-25110006.jpg

2011-11-25110017.jpg

base coats applied, moving onto black coats now =D

first black coat done

2011-11-25_1149511.jpg

2011-11-25_1149591.jpg

so right now its a semi glossy black layer, but i will add another 4 coats, then sand it with 600 and 1200 wet and dry, then 5 layers of clear go on top, get sanded with 1200 and 2000 wet and dry, then polished with a polishing machine

finished the 5th coat of black. nice and shiny now, will be lacquering it next week aswell as painting all the other parts. will hopefully be cutting the last of the stuff needed over the weekend for so i can paint it

so if i can drag myself away from skyrim for long enough i should have it al painted and ready for final assembly next weekend. then ill need an actual computer to put inside it lol

2011-11-25_1601281.jpg

2011-11-25_1601401.jpg

shiny now. hehehe. and this is without the lacquer or polishing :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Yes it still lives! I also got some cool stuff going into it which I will reveal closer to the date the hardware is going in. also a redesign of the theme of this desk, I'll also have to ask a mod to change it's name when that is posted