HD not working after a "Scandisk". D:\ is not accessible.

Assassin X

So I was working on a friends laptop (Win 7). I haven't really done to much on laptops and forgot they shut off after a certain amount of time. Well the laptop was easily fixed (he had forgotten his password). So I ran scandisk and defrag for him just to make sure he got it back in great condition. But when I ran scandisk for the second harddrive (D:) it stopped very early on for some reason (maybe because I closed the screen?). It must have restart the computer.

Well now when I go to access the D: drive it says "D:\ is not accessible   Access is denied". I even tried to rerun the scandisk but now it says windows can't access the drive. Any ideas?

----EDIT----
Weird. I booted up the laptop this morning and its fine now. 

Edited by Assassin X

Some times scandisk is more trouble than it's worth, I only ever run it if I think the hd is pretty well screwed and then it usually won't fix anything, I have yet to see it ever repair any bad sectors. There are a lot of third party software programs that are much better and faster.

Sorry for the late reply. What are some of the other faster programs? I may use them on my own computer.

To check if a disk is actually dying, HD Tune isn't bad.  You can read the SMART results with the free version and the error scan is pretty spot-on for pointing out disks with bad sectors.  It won't fix anything, but it's a reasonably quick check to see if your drives are in good health.