About to buy a gun

Onion

After lots and lots of research, I've made up my mind. I'm definitely getting a 9 mm for stopping power and because they're cheap to shoot. It'll be a compact gun, as I'll be carrying it every day when I get my permit. In the meantime, it'll be a nice cheap gun to take to the range pretty often and hone my skills. 

My choices are the following:

Ruger LC9 9mm

S&W M&P Shield 9mm

Kahr CM9

(Maybe the Glock 26 although its a lot pricier)

I've also considered these but have ruled them out:

Ruger LCR (too expensive to shoot, but I love revolvers)

Kel Tec PF9 (basically a lower quality Ruger LC9)

Sig Mosquito (they seem to be unreliable)

Maybe someone who's had actual experience with EDC and these guns could point me in the right direction? The only thing left to do is go see them in person, which I plan on doing this week.

I really wish there was an affordable compact 9mm revolver, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All on your list are great choices. I would prefer the S&W M&P Shield 9mm because of the three it has the least recoil and is the easiest to maintain. It is also a bit slimmer making for a more flat C&C. I hope you adopt the "two eyes open" aiming technique as it produces a greater accuracy.

My C&C weapon of choice is the KN FNP 45 because of the stopping power and the fact that it has a 15 shot clip. But it does carry a high price tag.

All on your list are great choices. I would prefer the S&W M&P Shield 9mm because of the three it has the least recoil and is the easiest to maintain. It is also a bit slimmer making for a more flat C&C. I hope you adopt the "two eyes open" aiming technique as it produces a greater accuracy.

My C&C weapon of choice is the KN FNP 45 because of the stopping power and the fact that it has a 15 shot clip. But it does carry a high price tag.

That's the one I was leaning towards to be honest. I've only ever heard good things about S&W 9mms, and the shield is just a smaller version of their popular 9mm. I actually tried it at the range when I was learning to shoot without even knowing that it was good technique. I used to do archery and when I got pretty good (couple months of daily shooting) I started shooting like that. It worked well for me, but I still focus a lot more with my right eye. The left eye is more of peripheral for me. 

If I had no budget, I'd definitely be carrying a 357, 44, or 45 snub nose revolver. 

After lots and lots of research, I've made up my mind. I'm definitely getting a 9 mm for stopping power and because they're cheap to shoot. It'll be a compact gun, as I'll be carrying it every day when I get my permit. In the meantime, it'll be a nice cheap gun to take to the range pretty often and hone my skills. 

My choices are the following:

Ruger LC9 9mm

S&W M&P Shield 9mm

Kahr CM9

(Maybe the Glock 26 although its a lot pricier)

I've also considered these but have ruled them out:

Ruger LCR (too expensive to shoot, but I love revolvers)

Kel Tec PF9 (basically a lower quality Ruger LC9)

Sig Mosquito (they seem to be unreliable)

Maybe someone who's had actual experience with EDC and these guns could point me in the right direction? The only thing left to do is go see them in person, which I plan on doing this week.

I really wish there was an affordable compact 9mm revolver, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :(

Yeah I really wish they had a large array of 9mm revolvers since I want a revolver and I want a 9mm too...

That's the one I was leaning towards to be honest. I've only ever heard good things about S&W 9mms, and the shield is just a smaller version of their popular 9mm. I actually tried it at the range when I was learning to shoot without even knowing that it was good technique. I used to do archery and when I got pretty good (couple months of daily shooting) I started shooting like that. It worked well for me, but I still focus a lot more with my right eye. The left eye is more of peripheral for me. 

If I had no budget, I'd definitely be carrying a 357, 44, or 45 snub nose revolver. 

I love my S&W 22A1 and I've heard great things about the M&P series so I'm betting you can't go wrong with that

In a couple years I'll definitely be getting a full size 357 revolver once I have the money. 

Also, I'm considering fiber optic sights for the S&W. I had a nice BB gun with fiber optic sights on it and they were amazing, I'm just not sure if its worth it on a real gun. What do you guys think?

In a couple years I'll definitely be getting a full size 357 revolver once I have the money. 

Also, I'm considering fiber optic sights for the S&W. I had a nice BB gun with fiber optic sights on it and they were amazing, I'm just not sure if its worth it on a real gun. What do you guys think?

Never seen those kinds of sights before, pretty gnarly stuff!

I'm still up in the air if I want a 9mm SA or a 357/38Spl Revolver for my second pistol(because why get a Revolver that can't handle both!)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I really want to get a SIG SP2022, but it isn't the choice for everyone as double-action pistols are very different from your average glock. They're pretty cheap though compared to other SIGs.

I've shot the Springfield XD9 and it was pretty nice, but also pretty pricey.

I'm really considering S&W Revolvers now because they take 357 and 38 special. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can shoot 38 special in a gun rated for 38 special +p all day with no issue, right? Its just that they're higher pressure rounds? Would there be any issue shooting cheap 38 special non +p rounds at the range for fun, and then carrying 357 in it during the day? I'll still blow through some 357 at the range to get used to it of course, but I want to mostly use 38 special because its cheap. 

The S&W revolvers are too pricey for me, I'm trying to stay below $500. What would you guys recommend that takes 357 and 38 special? Can there be any damage done to the gun from shooting too much 38 special if the specs only say its a 357? I'm asking because the S&W ones list them as 38 special +p and 357, whereas pretty much every other manufacturer just says 357. The 38 is just a shorter 357, but that doesn't matter when shooting it in a 357 gun, does it?

Edited by Onion

damn it o, i started looking at youtube vids of some of the possible choices you posted and now i have the gun bug too...

but imma stick with my browning .380

last gun 281.jpg

You don't want to shoot ammo in a revolver that isn't rated for it. Shooting +P rounds in a non +P revolver would cause the frame to be stretched (over time) and can cause a lot of issues.