Next (8th) Gen Console Predictions

Fogel

Right, because I forget how every rumor is fact. :rolleyes: Are you listening to yourself? Everything, and I mean everything, being reported is rumor, meaning nothing is official. Who gives a damn what rumors say about stuff months or years before a console is launched or even announced. The PlayStation 4 and Next Xbox are not announced so everything coming out is a rumor. The Wii U is announced, but aside from a few snippets of information, everything else is a rumor.

Processors do evolve over time. So even if the Wii U is running a PowerPC processor, who says it can't be better than past ones?

Maybe you're forgetting the Wii, PS3, and 360 all use a PowerPC processor or some variation of it. The current Power7 has eight cores, with four threads per core, to give it 32 threads running at once. Maybe the Power8, if the Wii U does use that, will double whatever the Power7 is currently at.

Besides, both the Next Xbox and PS4 are rumored (there's that word again) to be running an AMD CPU. Only the Wii U has been mentioned with a PowerPC processor.

I know they're just rumors...but why can't they be good rumors, I'm not really looking forward to anything said about any of the consoles (other than they'll finally let PC Gaming start taxing graphics hardware again)

Sure the PowerPC cores will be better then the one I mentioned...but we aren't exactly running Core 2's anymore either :P . I'm just saying they're obviously doing so to be cheapskates (I mean err, save the consumer some money), so why not just get a slightly lower spec'd Intel/AMD, that'd probably still perform just as well or better/more efficiently.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they're just rumors...but why can't they be good rumors, I'm not really looking forward to anything said about any of the consoles (other than they'll finally let PC Gaming start taxing graphics hardware again)

Sure the PowerPC cores will be better then the one I mentioned...but we aren't exactly running Core 2's anymore either :P . I'm just saying they're obviously doing so to be cheapskates (I mean err, save the consumer some money), so why not just get a slightly lower spec'd Intel/AMD, that'd probably still perform just as well or better/more efficiently.

Just toss in one of the A8-3870k or whatever, and add another 6*** series card for Crossfire, and BAM super consoles at a CHEAP price.

IVI isn't really listening to anything except to harp about PowerPCs....

PlayStation 4 rumored specs include an AMD A8-3850 and an HD 7670.

Next Xbox said to be running an AMD HD 6670, but also potentially an HD 7000 series (maybe the 7670 like the PS4). CPU is rumored to be an AMD component as well, but nothing solid.

Again, everything is rumor. So if IVI wants to keep moaning about PowerPC, he is more than welcome to when so far, only the Wii U is in line for a PowerPC processor.

Rumour on pricing and value of Wii U components. source

Citing unidentified sources, Mike Gwilliam of the Forget the Box media collective has reported that the full bill of materials for the Wii U comes to about $US180, with roughly $US50 of that going to the controller. As Nintendo calculates labour, marketing and other costs, we’re to expect a machine costing no less than $US300 at retail, Gwilliam reports.

His sources speak in deep specifics, so I greatly recommended visiting the full article to read and judge it for yourself. Of note, though, Nintendo is said to be greatly concerned “with cutting production costs to maximise profits,” says one of the unnamed sources. “Nintendo wants investors to view Wii U as a less risky proposition.” As well they should; Nintendo’s stock price is at a seven-year low and its president, we assume, still is working at a half-off discount following the 3DS’ poor launch.

As for the $US300 price, Forget the Box notes that many costs can pile up, such as software, shipping, packaging, among others. So again, $US180 is just the raw parts cost. See the link if you want specific prices on the new console’s components.

Ok so i may have over estimated with my $499USD launch price prediction, but at $300USD i dont see them having much room to move for price cuts.

Ok ok, I'll stop :P

On a brighter note, I hope AMD gets the contract(s), maybe it will help them get the revenue to close the gap with intel :)

Which means more money for me, since I spent my life savings on 300 shares of stock from them earlier today. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the way this article was written. It makes me think that the informant Sillegamer had got confused between "16 cores" and being able to support "16 threads".

ConsoleWatch: Developers Unhappy With Wii U Restrictions, Xbox Durango, and PlayStation 4

Will update the OP for the additional articles (this one and the Wii Price Point).

Edited by Fogel

IVI isn't really listening to anything except to harp about PowerPCs....

PlayStation 4 rumored specs include an AMD A8-3850 and an HD 7670.

Next Xbox said to be running an AMD HD 6670, but also potentially an HD 7000 series (maybe the 7670 like the PS4). CPU is rumored to be an AMD component as well, but nothing solid.

Again, everything is rumor. So if IVI wants to keep moaning about PowerPC, he is more than welcome to when so far, only the Wii U is in line for a PowerPC processor.

But teh cell!!!!!!! I always thought the cell processor was an interesting idea. If only sony had made the architecture for the GPU and ram more unified so developers could concentrate more on the cell cpu. Then maybe we could have seen its real potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like epic is trying to get Microsoft and Sony to make next gen consoles more high end.

"It is up to Epic, and Tim Sweeney in particular, to motivate Sony and Microsoft not to phone in what these next consoles are going to be. It needs to be a quantum leap. They need to damn near render Avatar in real time, because I want it and gamers want it—even if they don’t know they want it."

Unreal 4 engine

ff_unreal23b_f.jpg