New Sandy Bridge Extreme Core i7 3960X Reviewed

Bosco

Not even close to worth it. The CPU is way overpriced and you also have to buy a new motherboard too? Forget that.

The price is set that high because people will buy them. I am sure they are selling plenty, they have the best chip and to non overclockers they have the best performing processor available.

That being said they wont sell as many of these as say a mid range but to intel and the people buying them these will always be worth it.

As for the motherboard some people don't upgrade every generation, it makes sense for intel to require new motherboards as well.

It is a bit too much and I will never buy one but just tell me that the $1000 price doesn't make you want it more? I mean it's exclusive, this is a processor you can really brag about. Not that I would because no one will listen. It's just good business.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a gamer, I really don't foresee any real need to upgrade my i7 930 setup soon. With all the AAA titles coming out being console ports, there is no real push to upgrade. If I did a lot of photoshop, 3D art, or video encoding maybe it would be worth it, but game tech has pretty much stagnated the last 4 years or so :doh:. Its not that I'm really crazy about graphics, my name is "90sgamer" anyways, and I enjoy old games a lot, but I am interested in seeing some newer tech here in 2011. I still haven't seen anything surpass 4 year old Crysis except maybe Metro 2033.

Performance and price is exactly where I expected it to be. Upgrade wise it won't make sense for 98% of the users. But for a new build the platform with a cheaper CPU will be a good purchase, hopefully the retail CPU's overclock better and have better temps. :)

I don't think the 3820 is slated for release until Q1 2012.................

"After months a tough development at intel labs we were finally able to make a CPU with 2 less cores and a slower clock speed at the same high price you love, introducing the I7 3820."

This is what intel will say at it's release. :lol: :lol:

The truth is that the consumer end did not really see a processor release this year. The FX is essentially a server level processor that has very limited appeal in the consumer market when compared to the Phenom II, which seems to be a better buy. The Sandybridge-E is a great chip for heavy video or 3D rendering companies and from that aspect a great chip but for the consumer a really non-buy chip. Both companies failed this year to give us anything really new to end the year with.

Not even close to worth it. The CPU is way overpriced and you also have to buy a new motherboard too? Forget that.

You have to look at the price points and what its strengths are. This chip is for the power user that can use the technology not the average consumer

I don't think the 3820 is slated for release until Q1 2012.................

Correct

The truth is that the consumer end did not really see a processor release this year. The FX is essentially a server level processor that has very limited appeal in the consumer market when compared to the Phenom II, which seems to be a better buy. The Sandybridge-E is a great chip for heavy video or 3D rendering companies and from that aspect a great chip but for the consumer a really non-buy chip. Both companies failed this year to give us anything really new to end the year with.

Where I think we can agree here is that when it comes to gaming with the eye candy turned at, resolutions commonly used, a 4,6 or 8 core processor is going to deliver FPS numbers that are purely dependent on the video card. Moving to Multi GPU setups may change that performance relationship. The people who spend a grand on a chip are the hardcore benchers or the people who really want or need the capabilities it can deliver. This is in no means a value proposition and never will be nor has it been in the past. For Joe six pack who just wants a good solid build a 2600K blows the doors off of just about everything for a quarter to third of the cost of the 3960X. WHen in a work environment where time is money this chip will pay dividends.....

Where I think we can agree here is that when it comes to gaming with the eye candy turned at, resolutions commonly used, a 4,6 or 8 core processor is going to deliver FPS numbers that are purely dependent on the video card. Moving to Multi GPU setups may change that performance relationship. The people who spend a grand on a chip are the hardcore benchers or the people who really want or need the capabilities it can deliver. This is in no means a value proposition and never will be nor has it been in the past. For Joe six pack who just wants a good solid build a 2600K blows the doors off of just about everything for a quarter to third of the cost of the 3960X. WHen in a work environment where time is money this chip will pay dividends.....

You and I are on the same page, the business segment will be a huge gain fro this chip. From the enthusiats side the uber hardcore for sure will rock on this.

I wanted a somewhat future proof processor that wont be out dated in a year so I went with a 3930k. Mainly do gaming so I don't tnink I will have to worry for quite some time.

Edited by iluvstrats2

Great Review Cokeman. <br><br>Can I get a measurement of how large that heat spreader is. :lol: <br>

You've made me think of something, we could get quite amazing air cooling on these chips with all this extra real-estate for more direct contact heat pipes than ever before.

You've made me think of something, we could get quite amazing air cooling on these chips with all this extra real-estate for more direct contact heat pipes than ever before.

or bigger waterblocks =D

• Like 1