AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor New Revision Tested

Bosco

I just don't know what to say about this one :blink:, nice review

what? new revision, overclocks better, lower TDP. Pretty good move, especially with the price.

Edited by damian

i'll agree, nice review!

I'm glad to see the price tag has come down from outer space! especially with the 955 being only 200mhz "slower" and only ~$180, so it's good to see the 965 refresh priced more appropriately.

Second, what also piqued my interest is that AMD seemed to "fix" the memory controller issue where only two sticks of 1333/1066 (DDR3/DDR2) were functional with the chip... I'm glad they corrected whatever it was and hope to maybe see a refresh of the whole PII line, with the fixed mem controller.

also, lowered TDP is never a bad thing, especially when the chip performs equally, or in this case, better.

Is it just me or are the results pretty much within the margin of error for nearly every test? The new and old one look identical to me (except for temperatures under load of course and final clock speed).

EDIT: I guess the GTX260 is the limiting factor for the gaming tests but the others are damn near identical too. :P For the price if most of them clock like that AMD has a winner. :)

Edited by Waco

Is it just me or are the results pretty much within the margin of error for nearly every test? The new and old one look identical to me (except for temperatures under load of course and final clock speed).

EDIT: I guess the GTX260 is the limiting factor for the gaming tests but the others are damn near identical too. :P For the price if most of them clock like that AMD has a winner. :)

Performance at stock has not changed significantly. Overclocked vs. overclocked would have been a great comparison. Great review overall though!

Edited by The Smith

Well, what'd you guys expect? It's the same processor with a lower TDP and better C1E support. The price is a nice addition, as are the good temperatures.

The two respective overclocks (old / new revisions) are 3.913GHz and 4.038GHz, both at 1.5V. Given the close speeds, I would think that the benchmarks would be just about as close as the two CPU revisions @ stock (or say, the previous 965 review, with the 955 as a comparison). :)

Given that these processors do seem to overclock better, I wonder if the 965 can beat out the top 955 clocks on extreme cooling?

with that new release , who is better 955 or 965(the new one ) for overclocking i heard that the first 965 overclocks the same as 955 ..is that true ..:huh:..?

Edited by N.E.A

with that new release , who is better 955 or 965(the new one ) for overclocking i heard that the first 965 overclocks the same as 955 ..is that true ..:huh:..?

If you're talking about overclocking on air, no. The 965 C2 overclocks better than the 955 C2. Now the 965 C3 goes even further.

If you're talking about overclocking on air, no. The 965 C2 overclocks better than the 955 C2. Now the 965 C3 goes even further.

ok that works for me , but what about water , you said

If you're talking about overclocking on air

so i got the feeling that the situation will be different under water ..

ok that works for me , but what about water , you said

so i got the feeling that the situation will be different under water ..

I did not try it personally since I never ventured into water cooling, but I'd bet that the 965 C2 still goes farther than the 955 C2. Where the 955 seems to overclock better than the 965 is under LN2.