ATI Radeon HD 5850 Videocard from XFX Tested

Nemo

Same thing with an HD4850 and HD4870.

Once you overclock the HD5870, the HD5850 is hard pressed to provide any competition. :)

Never compare an overclocked card to a stock card.

yeah but the 5870 overclocks very odd I hear, where it can't very high (not because of instability) but because it just will lose performance after a certain point.

Sure the potential is there but something is holding it back (I'm guessing it's intentional and written into the drivers)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but the 5870 overclocks very odd I hear, where it can't very high (not because of instability) but because it just will lose performance after a certain point.

R800 has an integrated power monitor so if VRM's start to overload it will automatically hold back, because it was apparently possible to fry cards with OCCT before (until ATI/NVIDIA implemented driver throttling in that particular situation)

Edited by Zertz

M-m-m-mega Quote :thumbs-up:

I disagree with this con:

That's not the cards fault!

And I didn't dock it any points.

I thought Dirt 2 was DirectX 11?

Dirt 2 isn't out at the time of the review ;)

Edit: At what overclocked settings did you run the benchs? You say 1GHz on the core but in the screenshot it shows 840MHz...

1GHz, Looks like 1 SS might be missing, fixing that now.

it could be an intentional hold back from ati so the 5870 isn't too powerful?? I know the 5770's can overclock LIKE CRAZY if their voltage is tweaked.

Beta drivers I'd guess. The official drivers seem to have smoothed it out more though yes if you push the 5870 too far it will dip the scores down as I did run into that problem. The 5850 overclocked more willingly than the 5870 at first. but the 70's OCing good now so who knows

Sure the potential is there but something is holding it back (I'm guessing it's intentional and written into the drivers)

Also the use of ECC memory means that if you go to high your performance drops instead of seeing textures tearing or missing

R800 has an integrated power monitor so if VRM's start to overload it will automatically hold back, because it was apparently possible to fry cards with OCCT before (until ATI/NVIDIA implemented driver throttling in that particular situation)

Up to a point Not sure at what point OVP cuts in yet

Sapphire cards are kinda funky, from my personal experience and doing some research it seems there quality control for the Vapor X series of cards could be better.

Never had a problem with them actually. And I have quite a few that I have beat on and they are still going strong.

Also the use of ECC memory means that if you go to high your performance drops instead of seeing textures tearing or missing

You're right except ATI's R800, unlike NVIDIA's Fermi, simply does error detection and not correction. If there's an error the data is sent again until it's valid.

Up to a point Not sure at what point OVP cuts in yet

Yeah I guess it must be kind of hard to figure out especially since it'll vary from card to card because they don't all use the same VRM designs.. And games don't hit the video card as hard as OCCT can anyway

Edited by Zertz

You're right except ATI's R800, unlike NVIDIA's Fermi, simply does error detection and not correction. If there's an error the data is sent again until it's valid.

Hence the significant performance drop ! :thumbs-up: