Overclocking a 4770k

Moxuz

Hey guys, I am following the tutorial to overclock my 4770k found here http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/overclock_intel_4770k_guide/ and ran into a problem. It says while using primer that I shouldn't be going over 80c at stock speeds, but using HWMoniter during the primer95 test my CPU was going well over that. It quickly went to 90c, and I stopped the test at 91c (after about a minute of testing) just in case this was a problem. Is this usual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Moxuz

If you have the stock intel cooler, its possible to go above 80c on a hot day. Otherwise it could be that it's not seated properly or poor airflow inside the chassis. I also would not suggest overclocking at all since the cooler is barely suitable for stock.

edit: I'm planning on editing that guide at some point, maybe i'll make a note about it. like I said, if your hitting over 80c at stock, your using the included intel cooler, or you have a issues with the aftermarket cooler (being seated wrong or something).

also welcome to OCC :)

Thanks haha. Someone mentioned it might be because my heatsink wasn't fitted properly, or that maybe I should re-apply thermal paste. I read while I was building my computer that the z87-pro already had thermal paste pre applied to the heatsink (I think) but my friend and I had already put a little thermal paste on before reading this. Do you think this might be causing a problem? I'm quite happy with the stock 3.5ghz, but just figured since it was a 4770k I would want to atleast try to get it to 4.2. 

With the stock cooling, 4.2 or any overclock isn't going to happen. I hit 100c and than thermal throttling kicks in which is worse than leaving at at stock 3.5 (3.9 turbo). All intel heatsinks come with thermalpaste pre-applied. I never played around with mixing two thermal-paste which I can't see being horrible. not really sure...

Just make sure all 4 corners are seated as those stupid coolers like to pop out from time to time. running at stock you should hit a point where it no longer climbs in themp. In my place it's always 73f /23c ~ using a case with tons of airflow. I hit around 80-85c.  when I wrote that review I focused on aftermarket coolers and they shouldnt hit over 80c.

Thanks haha. Someone mentioned it might be because my heatsink wasn't fitted properly, or that maybe I should re-apply thermal paste. I read while I was building my computer that the z87-pro already had thermal paste pre applied to the heatsink (I think) but my friend and I had already put a little thermal paste on before reading this. Do you think this might be causing a problem? I'm quite happy with the stock 3.5ghz, but just figured since it was a 4770k I would want to atleast try to get it to 4.2. 

If you want any decent oc at all, buy a 3rd party CPU cooler.

A coolermaster hyper 212+ evo is a really nice cooler for its price and would certainly get you to the desired 4.2ghz

A stock cooler just doesn't cut it.

Alright I'll start looking into fans. Is the Hyper 212+Evo a great fan ? I'll have a price range of up to 50$, but I'm looking for something that isn't too noisy. Thanks for the help. 

Edit: I'm assuming most coolers will fit the z87-pro? No issues with coolers that only work on certain MOBOs ?

Edited by Moxuz

the 212 is great but I not for the haswell (4770k) I had poor results. I would suggest for $50, the Thermaltake C4 . It's a pain in the butt to install but I used it for my reviews and hit 4.5ghz without issues. It's in a review that will be published soon..ish

some of those big coolers will have issues as they hit the ram or are just large. what case do you have. some aftermarket coolers may not fit height wise.

edit: You can also check out some reviews here at occ and see what you like. I'm no expert at cpu coolers as I deal with cases way more often.

the 212 is great but I not for the haswell (4770k) I had poor results. I would suggest for $50, the Thermaltake C4 . It's a pain in the butt to install but I used it for my reviews and hit 4.5ghz without issues. It's in a review that will be published soon..ish

some of those big coolers will have issues as they hit the ram or are just large. what case do you have. some aftermarket coolers may not fit height wise.

edit: You can also check out some reviews here at occ and see what you like. I'm no expert at cpu coolers as I deal with cases way more often.

One *last* question, haha. I've been looking into the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro , is this outdated by now or does it still perform well against other 95$ Water coolers?

Edit: Found the Water 3.0 is less expensive and seems the same. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Moxuz

NZXT and Corsair both have things like the the Big Water coolers. To me they are kinda all the same, though I'm just use to the Corsair installation so I stick with it. honestly whatever gives you the best results within your price range is the best solution.