Top Posters In This Topic

:pfp:

Order of importance for a gaming rig these days:

1. Graphics Card(s)

2. PSU

3. Monitor

4. CPU/MB

5. Cooling/Case

Find what resolutions you're going to play at, and what settings are important to you. Also include your budget.

If you have a budget, spend the least amount of money on a CPU/MB, then the cooling situation (your case), then they type of monitor (if you need one), and finally, save around $110 and see what you can find for a graphics card.

You don't want to waste money on a CPU/MB as will barely affect your gaming experience. I played on an i3 2100 (dual core) at stock and a 1090T (hexacore) at 4.0GHz, and an i7 920 at 4.0GHz (quad core), and they're all roughly around the same price these days (if you buy used). The only thing different was Minimum FPS, and that was only a 1-4FPS difference.

Pretty darn bad configuration if you ask me as far as gaming is concerned. You are spending way too much on a CPU and much to less on a vide ocard. And going with 2 x 450 gts is a very bad choice, really. A big monitor will also make gaming a better experience.

How much are you willing to spend for this gaming rig of yours?

Do you already have a monitor or are you planning on buying one from this aforementioned budget?

Also (and this is in case you are not from America) link us some stores from your country where you can buy these parts. I sincerely believe that if you go from that i7 you picked downto to an i5 2500k you won't see absolutely no difference in games at 1920x1080 resolution but with the money leftover you can buy an adequate video card - or two- which is the part of the computer that is most important when gaming. With the money you save on the CPU and mobo you might even get away with an SSD which, again, will show some real world difference.)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hmm, I've also got the 3770K slotted into my build on a Z77. So I can drop that drop to a 2500K with no perceptible difference to my gaming at 1080p? *indecisive*

Like El_Capitan said, you can drop to an i3 2100 an feel no difference in gaming.

You should definitely step it down to an i5 2500K, but I would wait a week for the Ivy Bridge release. It may cause the 2500K to drop in price considering the new i5-3570K is supposed to be selling for less than the 2500K is selling for now. Also the new Z77 chipset boards are available and for the same price as the older Z68 boards. The AMD 7850 is a pretty sweet GPU for $250 if you're on a budget. Even the older 6870 ($160) would be much better than the GTS450's. That hard drive is alright for storage, but I wouldn't making a Caviar Blue drive a primary system drive. Check out a 60/90/120GB SSD, the performance boost is immediately noticeable over older mechanical drives. GSkill memory is awesome, I've never had any problems with it. I would also check out the Corsair HX750 and TX750 PSU's.

Budget depending...

i5-2500K/i5-3570K

Asus/Gigabyte Z77 MB

HD7870/HD7850/HD6870/GTX560Ti

60/90/120GB SSD

HX750/TX750

GSkill 8GB DDR3-1600

Good luck

Went on newegg and Looked around. If my house was one of the ones that blew away in the tornados that happened last weekend then this is what I would build. Not sure what the budget is but this would be a Stout Gaming rig, Great overclocker, be upgradable and Fast. Puts you at 1426.90 and roughly 1700-1800 after keyboard and mouse with the monitor. All quotes are from Newegg.com. Hope this is an eye opener. and this set-up will have no issues at a 1080P resolution.

Processor: I5 2500K --------------------------------------------------------- $219.00

Mainboard: Asrock z68 extreme3 Gen3 -------------------------------- $121.99

Memory: Mushkin Radioactive DDR3 1600 8Gb M#997005------ $44.99

Video card: EVGA 012-p3-1570-AR GTX570 -------------------------- $339.99

Hard drive: WD blue 500GB WD5000AAKS --------------------------- $79.99

SSD: Mushkin Callisto MKNSSDCL120GB --------------------------- $119.99

Psu: Corsair Pro Series GOld AX750 ----------------------------------- $169.99

Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-k63 Black ATX mid tower ---------------- $109.99

Processor cooling: Corsair H70 ------------------------------------------ $79.99

Windows & professional OEM --------------------------------------------- $139.99

Went on newegg and Looked around. If my house was one of the ones that blew away in the tornados that happened last weekend then this is what I would build. Not sure what the budget is but this would be a Stout Gaming rig, Great overclocker, be upgradable and Fast. Puts you at 1426.90 and roughly 1700-1800 after keyboard and mouse with the monitor. All quotes are from Newegg.com. Hope this is an eye opener. and this set-up will have no issues at a 1080P resolution.

Processor: I5 2500K --------------------------------------------------------- $219.00

Mainboard: Asrock z68 extreme3 Gen3 -------------------------------- $121.99

Memory: Mushkin Radioactive DDR3 1600 8Gb M#997005------ $44.99

Video card: EVGA 012-p3-1570-AR GTX570 -------------------------- $339.99

Hard drive: WD blue 500GB WD5000AAKS --------------------------- $79.99

SSD: Mushkin Callisto MKNSSDCL120GB --------------------------- $119.99

Psu: Corsair Pro Series GOld AX750 ----------------------------------- $169.99

Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-k63 Black ATX mid tower ---------------- $109.99

Processor cooling: Corsair H70 ------------------------------------------ $79.99

Windows & professional OEM --------------------------------------------- $139.99

Maybe you should change the PSU to this: Corsair HX750 - $149.99

To my knowledge it's re-certified to 80+ Gold recently.

Also don't you need to get some fans for the H70? There are no included fans right?

IMO better get this: NZXT Havik 140 - $59.99

:cheers:

Maybe you should change the PSU to this: Corsair HX750 - $149.99

To my knowledge it's re-certified to 80+ Gold recently.

Also don't you need to get some fans for the H70? There are no included fans right?

IMO better get this: NZXT Havik 140 - $59.99

Honest to god the reason behind the PSUS recommendation of the Psu is I alway recommend the highest quality of PSU. Consistency and efficiency are first and foremost in any systems power supply as a low quality one can take down the entire system. The award you are referring to I'm pretty sure is from a site that deals with reviewing the units. That would not change its certification as far as ATX standards of efficiency, reliability or power deliver so I do not quite understand what you mean. Please explain though.

Reason for recommending an H70. Because it will fit in his case regardless, economic and for the performance. Being the Havok 140 is over 6 inches tall. (6.30 to be more exact) and I have not seen the case in person that I recommended. that cooler may not fit. ??

My thoughts

Boinker.

Where is the love for PC Power and Cooling?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

$90 bags you a good quality 80+ silver rated 750watt psu

Edit: should probably mention it comes with a 7 year warranty and free shipping

Edited by Stonerboy779

Hmm, I've also got the 3770K slotted into my build on a Z77. So I can drop that drop to a 2500K with no perceptible difference to my gaming at 1080p? *indecisive*

I like having an i7 personally :P. If you can get a full refund on that i7 and you can get a much better video card in the process then I guess it would be worth it. How much money would you save by making such a switch anyway and what GPU do you own in that rig.

Honest to god the reason behind the PSUS recommendation of the Psu is I alway recommend the highest quality of PSU. Consistency and efficiency are first and foremost in any systems power supply as a low quality one can take down the entire system. The award you are referring to I'm pretty sure is from a site that deals with reviewing the units. That would not change its certification as far as ATX standards of efficiency, reliability or power deliver so I do not quite understand what you mean. Please explain though.

Reason for recommending an H70. Because it will fit in his case regardless, economic and for the performance. Being the Havok 140 is over 6 inches tall. (6.30 to be more exact) and I have not seen the case in person that I recommended. that cooler may not fit. ??

My thoughts

Boinker.

What I meant was the 80 Plus Efficiency Certification. According to this, the Corsair HX750 meets the 80 Plus Gold certification and not that far behind when compared to the AX750. I'm not quite sure about the ATX certification though since honestly I've minimal knowledge on PSUs. The point I was trying to make was that the HX750 would offer almost the same level of efficiency (based on the site I mentioned) for $20 less then the AX750.

I overlooked the case you've recommended, sorry about that. Yes the Havik 140 wouldn't fit when the fans are fitted in (total of ~6.50 inch).