9xx to Ivy Bridge

ericgcollyer

GPU-Z is a great program to give you details on your current GPU. Whether you keep your current "unknown" AMD card or upgrade, it is still a good piece of software to have installed ;)

*Facepalm* I actually use CPU-Z and HWMonitor all the time. I didn't even think to use it to check. And heaven forbid I check it in control panel. That takes what? 3 seconds and 9 clicks? Man...Too much work. It is a 285GTX by XFX.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my area,

The impression I get is the GTX560 Ti 448 are better cards for most people than the 570s. You should check reviews and comparisons.

The MSI N560GTXTX Ti 448 looks intersesting, newegg $287.86 shipped

I dont know if I am willing to go lower than a 570. It is officially supported by Adobe for Premiere Pro: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html. I can do the CUDA hack for premiere pro, but honestly, the program is buggy enough as it is. Plus, the CUDA hack did not work for a friend of mine. I think an extra $20 or so is worth the piece of mind.

Does that card have reference cooling on it? I'm not in the habit of dissing nVidia but I truly hate the stock cooler they placed on their cards ... not that it isn't performing well because it does -- but it's so FREAKIN' loud if you want to keep your card at decent temps ( though i have a 470 which is hotter than a 570 ) you will need MSI Afterburner kept ALWAYS on so that it can control your fans. Yesterday for example i was playing Heroes VI and i have a FPS display in the top left corner of my screen on. It always stays at 60 fps -- Vsync on --. I was having a relatively good time when I noticed - "hmmm ... why am i getting only 35 fps? Oh look, MSI Afterburner is not turned on .. better switch it on" and i must say : Hell hath no fury like an nVidia stock fan turning on when your GPU is at 90 degrees. So jumped back into the game back at 60 fps but I also had to turn up the volume to not hear the video card which was sounding not much unlike a vacuum in mating season.

I have that card and it performs very well... but the cooler on it sucks and there is no way you are going OC it much with the stock cooler. And you will definitely need to download a program like MSI Afterburner or EVGA's Precision and create a custom fan profile to keep temps within normal range. Would be hard to pass up with that $20 savings ...though knowing what I know now, I would just spend the extra cash towards a card with a good cooler - ASUS.

Does that card have reference cooling on it? I'm not in the habit of dissing nVidia but I truly hate the stock cooler they placed on their cards ... not that it isn't performing well because it does -- but it's so FREAKIN' loud if you want to keep your card at decent temps ( though i have a 470 which is hotter than a 570 ) you will need MSI Afterburner kept ALWAYS on so that it can control your fans. Yesterday for example i was playing Heroes VI and i have a FPS display in the top left corner of my screen on. It always stays at 60 fps -- Vsync on --. I was having a relatively good time when I noticed - "hmmm ... why am i getting only 35 fps? Oh look, MSI Afterburner is not turned on .. better switch it on" and i must say : Hell hath no fury like an nVidia stock fan turning on when your GPU is at 90 degrees. So jumped back into the game back at 60 fps but I also had to turn up the volume to not hear the video card which was sounding not much unlike a vacuum in mating season.

Ya I said the same exact thing as you but without the colorful metaphor :lol: