R9 290X...The game changer

IVIYTH0S

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better driver support + PhysX + generally better performance in the games I actually care about = I'll continue to go green for the foreseeable future.

Well, nVidia is also working hard to form partnerships with developers so they will use nVidia-exclusive tech, so an increase in PhysX adoption is not necessarily because the devs want it, but because they want nVidia's money and/or engineers coming in to help them. Also, if they have better driver support then how come when I reported bugs with their drivers, they were never even marked as having been looked at, months after being submitted? That was over a year ago and I experienced the same bug in the 331.40 beta drivers.

i am still suprised why occ dont have a card/review yet while there are plenty of reviews online for several days now.

May be you should PM Bosco to know more details about the reason because of which its review is not here.

Because I did not get a card directly from AMD I was asked to hold the review! AMD decided to only have their select sites push out launch day reviews. Kind of a look behind the curtain there but it is what it is. It will be up when we are allowed to publish it. We do not break the NDA commitments we sign. Soon I anticipate this week we will have it up. 

i am still suprised why occ dont have a card/review yet while there are plenty of reviews online for several days now.

May be you should PM Bosco to know more details about the reason because of which its review is not here.

Because I did not get a card directly from AMD I was asked to hold the review! AMD decided to only have their select sites push out launch day reviews. Kind of a look behind the curtain there but it is what it is. It will be up when we are allowed to publish it. We do not break the NDA commitments we sign. Soon I anticipate this week we will have it up. 

Are you excited, looking at how it's been doing for other reviewers?

The one that's nearly half the price. :lol:

Well if THAT's equal? :rolleyes:

Are you excited, looking at how it's been doing for other reviewers?

The one that's nearly half the price. :lol:

Well if THAT's equal? :rolleyes:

I'll know in the morning sometime. 

If that's equal? Whichever company is the underdog!

I have to admit, I may go for an AMD CPU next time to help them out and they really are pretty decent, just not as much performance per clock/watt but per/$ they're decent. I've never run an AMD processor for my desktop or laptop but my HTPC has been awesome and it's one of the weakest "CPU"s around.

I have to admit, I may go for an AMD CPU next time to help them out and they really are pretty decent, just not as much performance per clock/watt but per/$ they're decent. I've never run an AMD processor for my desktop or laptop but my HTPC has been awesome and it's one of the weakest "CPU"s around.

You really do not need big CPU power for an HTPC. Not with all the GPU accelerated program options out there.

You really do not need big CPU power for an HTPC. Not with all the GPU accelerated program options out there.

I was just playing into the fact that the CPU performance progression is rather stagnant lately. AMD is losing so much in the performance/watt because Intel is chiefly improving their efficiency (which is great, more "power" to them) but that doesn't matter as much for the desktop world. That all being said, I wouldn't be upgrading for a while so I'll have to reassess my decision at the time it's needed but for now I'd "like" to try out a full blown AMD chip (FX8350 for instance)

I was just playing into the fact that the CPU performance progression is rather stagnant lately. AMD is losing so much in the performance/watt because Intel is chiefly improving their efficiency (which is great, more "power" to them) but that doesn't matter as much for the desktop world. That all being said, I wouldn't be upgrading for a while so I'll have to reassess my decision at the time it's needed but for now I'd "like" to try out a full blown AMD chip (FX8350 for instance)

Power efficiency for you and I may not be that important but think of the companies out there that buy loads of systems with the newest CPU's. All those marginal to us improvements in power efficiency can make a significant impact to the bottom line over time when you start paying for thousands of them to run 8 to 12 hours a day in workstations.

For me I could care less about efficiency since I run out of spec anyhow with my systems on usually 24/7 and usually running F@H.