What are your favorite Linux distribution and desktop environment?

NikoDG

Favorite distro and DE?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite distribution?

• Ubuntu
    • Linux Mint
    • Fedora
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Debian
    • openSUSE
    • Arch Linux
    • Manjaro Linux
  2. 2. What is your favorite desktop environment?

• KDE
    • GNOME 2
    • GNOME 3
    • Unity
    • MATE
    • Cinnamon
    • XFCE
    • LXDE
    • Enlightenment

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu 12.10 and I believe I am currently using the Unity desktop environment, but as I am a noob with linux it may be Gnome X

If you're using the out of the box GUI its unity you ever get nvidia drivers worked out on it >.>....years later mybad..

I'm trying to figure out what you mean... Are you saying the area in Ubuntu you have to find that allows you to install 3rd party drivers is hard to find?  I would agree with this, I liked the old utility from past Ubuntus.

Yeah, I like it. Though it's the only Linux distribution I've tried so far so I don't have anything to compare it to. But if it's easy enough for a noob like me that's pretty good :P

Ubuntu 12.10 and I believe I am currently using the Unity desktop environment, but as I am a noob with linux it may be Gnome X

If you're using the out of the box GUI its unity you ever get nvidia drivers worked out on it >.>....years later mybad..

I'm trying to figure out what you mean... Are you saying the area in Ubuntu you have to find that allows you to install 3rd party drivers is hard to find?  I would agree with this, I liked the old utility from past Ubuntus.

3rd party drivers are crap in ubuntu you get no where near the same performance that you do from the ones straight from nvidia sadly though the drivers from nvidia are a pain to install and will most likely lead you to a black screen where you usually have a login screen unless done right. Thats why i use to like Gentoo so much even tho it didn't have a GUI for installation and required allot of configuration Portage was the shit you could tell it to grab nvidia drivers and it wouldn't even huff or puff about it and would do it twice as fast as apt-get as long as your tree was properly configured. BUUUUT sadly Gentoo is not what it use to be and is lacking features that it should have (IMO and im not going to argue about it) and comes with a crap live dvd option PFFFT :-/

3rd party drivers are crap in ubuntu you get no where near the same performance that you do from the ones straight from nvidia sadly though the drivers from nvidia are a pain to install and will most likely lead you to a black screen where you usually have a login screen unless done right. Thats why i use to like Gentoo so much even tho it didn't have a GUI for installation and required allot of configuration Portage was the shit you could tell it to grab nvidia drivers and it wouldn't even huff or puff about it and would do it twice as fast as apt-get as long as your tree was properly configured. BUUUUT sadly Gentoo is not what it use to be and is lacking features that it should have (IMO and im not going to argue about it) and comes with a crap live dvd option PFFFT :-/

Never tried Gentoo.  The idea of compiling everything sucked.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean... Are you saying the area in Ubuntu you have to find that allows you to install 3rd party drivers is hard to find? I would agree with this, I liked the old utility from past Ubuntus.

3rd party drivers are crap in ubuntu you get no where near the same performance that you do from the ones straight from nvidia sadly though the drivers from nvidia are a pain to install and will most likely lead you to a black screen where you usually have a login screen unless done right. Thats why i use to like Gentoo so much even tho it didn't have a GUI for installation and required allot of configuration Portage was the shit you could tell it to grab nvidia drivers and it wouldn't even huff or puff about it and would do it twice as fast as apt-get as long as your tree was properly configured. BUUUUT sadly Gentoo is not what it use to be and is lacking features that it should have (IMO and im not going to argue about it) and comes with a crap live dvd option PFFFT :-/

Never tried Gentoo. The idea of compiling everything sucked.
Ditto. :lol:

I have my nvidia drivers working just fine on the work rig. One of these days I am going to install the Linux version of steam on there just to try it out and see if I can live with it on a gamer at home.

Fedora - earlier with Gnome 2 and now with version 3.

That is my main workstation.

I also use RedHat & Ubuntu in my vmware (if that counts), but none of them are my favorite.

Eh yeah Gentoo was a pain but hey it was a good way to kill part of a boring day and if you did all the tweaks to portage and everything else in the GUI you killed an entire boring day. IDK what ever happened to Compxpert but we use to have timed races on getting into the GUI with functional network drivers -_-

P.S Bishop you'll hate it dude games are just stupid buggy in linux especially with 12.10 and if your running 64bit as well you are going to want to shoot your self in the face 4 hours into it randomly crashing with a error code no one has ever seen before :-/ just my opinion though.

Edited by confuzzedintelguy

Wonder when someone is going to come up with a Linux distro that just works and pulls everything together like win7....the closest I've come so far is ubuntu but there are still some drawbacks to that...