Occ News: Ultra To Debut 2000w Psu @ Ces

OCC News Post

Ultra Products, a global leader in technology solutions, today announces that it will unveil the world's first 2000W ATX Power Supply Unit for the PC at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The Ultra X3 Modular 2000W PSU has a footprint similar to some competitors' 1000W units (just 10.25 inches) and is 80% efficient under typical loads. The 2000W X3 will be available to consumers sometime in early 2007. The product will be on display at the ShowStoppers media showcase at the Wynn Hotel on Monday night, January 8th.

"It's not so much that we believe personal computers today need as much as 2000W of power," explains George Ali, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Ultra Products. "In fact, most household circuits can't even provide the AC power this unit would require in order to put out 2000W of DC power. But there's the always-inevitable questions of 'Do I have enough power?' or 'Does my power supply have enough juice where my high end components need it.' That is why we have put together this 2000W unit; as the end all of power supplies as far as DC output goes. With as much as 1800W available on the 12V alone, there should be no concern whatsoever that there is enough power available for quad core, quad GPU or large drive arrays."

Highlights of the new Ultra X3 Modular PSU include:

*Modular Design

Edited by sdy284

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone would be using 2KW PSU unless they are running a Quad SLi 8800GTX rig with x4 QX6700 processors and 10 SATA HDDs and all that jazz...

I think it's overkill for PSUs, 1kw should suffice for now

Over 500 Watt's Under load for the FX74 so 1000 Watts is not going to do it running SLI :(

Over 500 Watt's Under load for the FX74 so 1000 Watts is not going to do it running SLI :(

Lol FX74! "Twice the power consumption for the same or lesser performance!" woot woot! :P

Seriously though, 2KW does sound silly, but it's not unheard of. Besides, they have to start making it now so that when people like us actually need it it'll be decently priced :)

i thought that we were moving forward in tech i mean the father we go the bigger things or getting and more power i mean come on i thought by now we would make some break though i mean if i have to call the power company and tell them i need my own grid just to turn on my computer. this is just stupid things should be using less power and put more out.

2kW isn't a lot really, my 3 rigs combined probably use about that much, and the rig that would NEED a 2kW psu could probably do the work of all 3 rigs and more

:lol: @ camel light