Bat Signal on a PC?

Bat Signal Case Window?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Does a Bat Signal Cutout in a brightly lit case window sound interesting? The case lighting already shines shapes on my wall, but is merely mesh air holes right now.

• I like it.
    • It's interesting, but unsure.
    • Not very interesting, but I'm still curious.
    • I don't like the idea.

I want to mod my PC case, cut out a window for translucent colored plexiglass. Haven't figured out my color yet, but coming up with various ideas. This isn't going to happen right away, but waiting for my new cold cathodes has me thinking up ideas.

Case: Rosewill Challenger, ludicrous amounts of blaringly bright blue LED fans.

I figured my dimensions for the window would be exactly 11" tall by 9" wide, place level with the bottom of my motherboard and both sides, falling 0.6" below the top of my motherboard on the top-side of the window. Showing off only the meat, not the drive bays or the bottom where wiring is hidden.

With the lighting in my case, it creates a glow on my wall shaped after each hole in it...

So I had a goofy idea: Cut out a window, but leave some of the metal in place, in the shape of the bat signal!

Who likes this idea? Who doesn't? Has it been done before (a brief googling came up with nothing for me, but I swear someone HAS TO have done this by now)?

__Edits: Typo corrections.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Untitled.png

The silver/grey seen would be a metal sheet attached to the case, I plan to entirely remove and replace the grating with this panel (embossed about 1/8" Outward from case wall), with rubber edging. Edging would be for appearance purposes only. I am open to black with grey edging, or grey panel with black edging, or all black/silver. Suggestions would be great.

I am considering green plexiglass, with all blue interior LEDs and cathodes (i have all the blue stuff already, but wanted a little contrast in the window color itself.) But I'm completely open to other PlexiGlass colors, though I already have blue lighting so that's what I have to base the plexiglass decision on.

I would probably make the gap just wide enough to mount one of the cold cathodes right in the middle of the design for brightest "spotlight" effect, and line the other along the bottom of the case for general component visibility, which should also prevent the two light streams from "blending" with each other against the wall: As only one of them would be at an angle that could pass through the windows, and it would be angled for a "wide spread" of the two windows, stretching them into a large image on my wall.

One last idea: Could simply cut dense adhesive tape (black, opaque) into a phrase. "To the batcave!" is one humorous idea that came to mind. I'd post this on the interior of the bottom panel if so.

Please comment with any new ideas, and I WILL document this if I decide to go through with it.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

It'd be very curious to see what this looks like when you finish. The only downsides that I can think of by doing this is 1) the heat created by the light 2) loss of airflow if you use some sort of reflective shield to strengthen the beam of light 3) the brightness keeping you up at night. Otherwise, it does sound like an interesting idea. I kind of think it would almost be like one of those alarm clocks that displays the time on the ceiling. Keep us posted and remember pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be very curious to see what this looks like when you finish. The only downsides that I can think of by doing this is 1) the heat created by the light 2) loss of airflow if you use some sort of reflective shield to strengthen the beam of light 3) the brightness keeping you up at night. Otherwise, it does sound like an interesting idea. I kind of think it would almost be like one of those alarm clocks that displays the time on the ceiling. Keep us posted and remember pictures!

Will do. But I've had to put it off for a while. I still plan to get it done, but all my upgrades are on hold for a bit (especially my GPU, which sucks). Just taking a little longer than expected to find a tenant for my old place, which means I'm still paying for 2 places at once.. until that's rented out, I don't have much excess income to work off of: So this is on hold for now. I'm expecting anywhere from 1-6 weeks. the place is a steal to begin with, it's just sorting the tenants out that's taking so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my second apartment leased out. That means I have money to start working on this. However, I'm buying a GTX 580 first thing in April. So it might be a May project depending on cost, as I can't afford to buy too much all at once.

But it's definitely affordable again. Just a question of this month or next.

On the bat window you may find easier just cut the bat shape of the panel don't edge the hole it will leave you with a soft edge instead of a crisp just and the edge smooth and use touch up paint on this bare edge to color match it. Then use a rectangular peice of plexi, mounted behind hole with internally reflect if film mounted on the back of the plate and the front of the plate, put an led or elwire light strip mounted around the square and foil behind. Then spray bomb the whole thing to match the case color then mount the plate temporarily so can trace your bat symbol on the front and cut it away to reveal your bat symbol I would then cut away about an extra 1/4" of foil around the symbol so the hard metal edge would give it a laser cut look. Anyway that is just how I would do it, what ever you do I am sure it will look great.