Clearance for an Cabinet Exhaust Fan

nns

I am considering putting my PC having two exhaust fans into a table but I only have about 3cm left at the top of the case between the case and the table. Should I go ahead or is it a bad thing idea?

It depends on the cooling of your case already and whether it's has unobstructed airflow elsewhere.

You can buy really thin centrifugal type 'blower' fans but they're loud and don't move much air.

Ideally the vents should be on top, but are there places you could unnoticeably add a vent on the bottom to at least let it draw air IN?

Where are the fans located OP?

Intake: 1 at the bottom, 1 in the front and 1 on the side

Exhaust: 1 at the back and 2 at the top

(As indicated in the 2nd image.)

Where are the fans located OP?

Intake: 1 at the bottom, 1 in the front and 1 on the side

Exhaust: 1 at the back and 2 at the top

(As indicated in the 2nd image.)

Ah ok, assumed they were the grill holes.

Unless you are overclocking I don't really thing you need the fans, unless ya be wanting negative pressure. You can keep the fans but they won't be at maximum efficiency and it might affect their life slightly(doubt it though).

Are you talking about putting your rig under a "Table" with all four sides open except for the table legs, you should be fine. Or are you trying to say you want to put your rig in a cramped non-vented computer desk cabinet.

Edited by Braegnok

DanTheGamer11, I think I'll just add one fan at the top then. Hopefully it will help a little bit.

Braegnok, the latter. A non vented cabinet with only the front and back open to air.

They have those type Desks at work, I replace the front panel on the door with black mesh, and remove the back panel.

If there is a drawer above I would remove drawer and replace drawer face with black mesh, to get a little clearance. It works for getting some air flow and looks good. Your hard drive would be something you want to check temp on for a while to see if you need to adjust air flow across it, try to keep HDD below 70c and you will be fine.

If you need more cool air these 120mm flex vents work well,.. to pull cool air from outside the cabinet, into your chassis side panel fan,.. mounted to your case with magnets, and a nice grill on the outside of the desk pannel.

Edited by Braegnok

Could you lay it on its side and use the side panel 'intake' as an exhaust fan?

Not enough space to do so.

They have those type Desks at work, I replace the front panel on the door with black mesh, and remove the back. If there is a drawer above I would remove drawer and replace face with black mesh, to get a little clearance. It works for getting some air flow and looks good. Your hard drive would be something you want to check temp on for a while to see if you need to adjust air flow across it, try to keep HDD below 70c and you will be fine.

That was supposed to be the next plan of action.  :thumbsup:

My HDDs are quite ok as I have a fan blowing cool air right on them, it's the CPU that get's hot.

I'll get in that extra fan and see if it does the job or I'll simply place the 690 on the table instead of placing it below it!  :D