Asus A8n 32-sli-deluxe; 1 Long Beep And 2 Short Beeps On Startup

Yeah, I had the fans totally out of the equation and nothing changed.

One wierd thing is that the video card fan and processor fans appeared to be spinning at a normal rate. I'm not sure why that is, but the case fans were for sure being starved of power. Also the power supply fans were spinning. Not sure about their rate but they were spinning, at least the power supply exhaust fan at the rear of the case was spinning.

How can I check what amps the power supply is putting out? Did those voltages seem to be within the spec range?

PS I was totally suprised to see that the Compaq had a PCI-E slot...nobody else I know has PCI-E (well, one of my other friend's comes to mind....but I his HP has a warranty that I believe would be become void if the case was opened, so that was out of the question)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disregard my statement about the fans.

It appears my adjustable fan controller went bad and was not providing enough power to the fans regardless of how it was adjusted. I tested each fan straight to the power supply and it was then spinning as fast as it should be. Bah, I guess we're back to a (most likely) motherboard problem.....

I actually had the same problem with the same motherboard and it is very common for that board to fail. I suggest a new Mobo here, but I wanted to test everything to make sure.

Edited by Jhester

OK - we're pretty sure that the PSU is OK, & we 'think' the GFX gard is OK.

Did you get around to trying the GFX card in the 2nd slot?

CMOS battery is a possibility, at least it's cheap to replace.

It would be nice to try a known good GFX card in the MoBo prior to writing it off.

The Asus users guide for that motherboard shows that beep code to be no memory detected.

Call asus at 1-812-282-2787, and ask for a rma.

If the MoBo manual says that, then go with it - I was going off standard Award beep codes.

Don't know about an RMA for something purchased in Feb 07', though :)

have you tried the x1950 in the 2nd PCI-E slot? my DFI NF4 Ultra-D (SLI-D) is currently a pain in the arse to get booted because of conformal coating seepage into the PCI-E x16 slots... and I get one long, two short beeps, no display, fans running... I can get it running if I really mess around with the graphics card insertion/mounting though... I need to get some industrial solvent to clean it (that doesn't melt the plastic)

does the Asus board have an LED diagnostic on it? all the MSI and DFI boards I've owned had a four LED diagnostic which can help sometimes (not all the time lol)

Just a moment ago I tried the X1950 in the second PCI-E slot.....no change in anything. No harddrives connected either, but still I'm getting no display and the same beep sequence. This ASUS board does not have any diagnostic lights, just a green LED towards the bottom left hand corner/tip of the motherboard.

I also checked all of the power connections to the motherboard itself.

Just got off of the phone with the RMA center for ASUS. Have to send in my board to their repair facility (which is luckily in my State considering it is the only repair facility they have in the US according to the RMA person I spoke to)

They can't do an advanced RMA because they don't have a surplus of these boards. But they will either repair it or if it cannot be repaired they will send me a brand new motherboard.

So perhaps tonight I'll start the full teardown and get it shipped as soon as I can.

Do any of you have any recommendation for how to store the processor while the motherboard is off to the repair facility?