Dynamic OC and Windows Re-Install Warnings VENDOR

finn

Hi,

I just purchased an ASUS Rampage IV, i73930k, G.Skill Ripjaws 1866 Cl9. Corsair H80i. With overclocking option by my VENDOR.

1. Question:

Now, I wonder, cause since he demonstrated me this build computer, he showed that every overlocking change does force Windows to ask to get Re-Installed.

So, he concluded, that I usually need to install Windows AFTER overclocking.

I never heard anything like this. Is there something true about ?

2. Question:

Since he OC to 4,5Ghz or even 4,7Ghz with some standard Bios settings, CPU-Z showed up a dynamic changement of the Core Speed. Starting at 1200Mhz.

In my times I oc an longer time ago E6600 and I remember, that stable Multiplier Settings ended always up in better results than Turbo, or Asus "intelligent Dynamic Performance" options.

He told me, with the newer CPU generation, this has been changed and it's better to stay on "dynamic" or "turbo" option.

Is he correct ?

Thanks a lot dudes,

F.

With regards to question 1, when you modify any of the hardware in your computer it can trigger Windows needing to be validated again, which means you reenter your product key. Windows does not usually need to be reinstalled.

As far as question 2 is concerned, in my opinion it is still better to set a locked clockspeed when applying the OC but after you have finalized the OC, any dynamic clock speed programs can be used without issue.

Hope this helps

Euro

I've had windows triger a re-validation when changing hardware, never had it happen when overclocking, Windows gets angry when you swap processors,  MB or harddrives mainly, other stuff i've swapped out without incident, but when it triggers just make a call to their toll free number (which will be in the validation window) to their automated system, only important thing is when they as how many systems have been installed with this copy of windows the answer is always "one".. (Oh, the  only time you would want to re-install windows is if it gets corrupted while overclocking due to instability)

As far as using turbo to oc, On the newer cpu's, unless your going for some extreme OC's (which you wouldnt be using 24/7 anyway) you probibly want to stick with the turbo/boost and let the multiplyer scale down when it's not being loaded. Saves on heat and energy.